I Really got blood in the shop

I am very sorry this happened. Talk about a strong reminder for us all that safety is something you practice every time.

Dom, at the risk of skirting the edge of the CoC, I'll say damn, that sucks. :( Very sorry to hear about the accident, and I hope you heal as quickly and painlessly as possible. Thanks for the wake-up call to all of us. I do have a phone in the shop, but need a first aid kit. :rolleyes:

Sorry about those fingers Dom. I have played that game also. I was lucky and didn't get as much as you. Believe it or not, it grew back.

thanks Steve...if these grow back, I might ask my mother if she is a virgin, and her uncles carpenters!

No way on these. Glad you healed!

Dom I'm so sorry this happened to you. Glad you're in good spirits and getting back in the saddle. Not the kind of reminder anyone want's to have, but glad your ok considering... :)

Hi Dom: Gee I'm so sorry you had to go through that. What a bummer. But I'm really glad you kept your head on and dialed 9-1-1. I used to be the health/safety person at my old job (among other things), and I can't tell you how many times I heard stories about people reluctant to or afraid to call for help. Really important that you reminded everyone about a first aid kit and a phone (and I'll add a fire extinguisher).

I bet that hurts too. I hope you got some good drugs and are healing quickly. Good vibes headed your way from Vancouver Island.
cynthia :crutches:

Dom,

Tough break! I admire your courage and level-headedness. Not sure I'd react as well... :dunno:

Eli was darn good today. And that's coming from a chargers fan! :thumb:

Be well. And take it easy for a while, would ya? ;)

Thanks,

Bill

:eek: Dom thanks for that wake up. Like others have said its tough on you and unpleasant but sharing it is one way to get some value from it for all of us. Sent shivers down my spine. But these types of posts keep me wide awake in the shop.

I have a phone and fire protection but my big concern is something wacking me like a flying object off the lathe or the table saw and landing on something else that whacks me so i am now lying on the floor out for the count.

The other thing i find is the phone can also be a distraction at the wrong time. In my shops case even the darn door. All it takes is for someone to cause you to look up at the wrong time. Back to concentration i suppose.

My Dad not having a shop right now, had a fall a while back and while lying in his cottage at the retirement viallge, on the floor with all the safety of a phone and even a panic button could not get help for an entire night. Panic button was on the wall at waste height and phone on a table.

The thing we need to think about here is making things accessible when you on the floor. I know this sounds extreme but it was a lesson for me when he told me of his ordeal on the floor all night. Cut me up being over here and him there.

My big fear is being in the shop and something like this happening. Yesterday i was in there all day apart from coming out for a cup of tea and sandwich. Point is my shop is so sealed up no one would hear me squeeling if i had to.

Been thinking about Brents ideas with video. Putting an el cheapo b/w video camera in the shop and monitor in the kitchen. Just for loml to be able to see movement.

I would add that in the first aid kit we should have a tourniquet specifically to try and stop blood flow, especially for those that are some ways to a hospital or far for paramedics to reach.

All the best Dom its actually a positive thing for us to keep our fear of those sharp edges.

Some of these things sound extreme but think about it, we had a discussion on the law suite issue regarding making the tool manufacturers use the safety technology that is available.

Well we need to do the same. Also briefing your better half on what to do if something does happen. Just so one has a game plan like a fire plan.

don't know what to say dom, that hasn't been said already. a while back i took a real dinger on my left thumb. at first i thought it may have been a little burnish from the side of the blade, but it started hurting too bad. turns out it was a little more than a ding, the doc said i went as far as i could without doing damage to bone or tendon. wound up with 11 real frankenstein stitches. at the time i was cutting parts for one project, thinking about parts for a second, and thinking about a third when it happened. never again. one tool, one part, full attention and concentration.

on a side note, when i was up to it, i found that my dad had put everything away for me (nice and neat too). he came into the garage just as i was throwing a nearly new freud diablo blade in the trash. he asked why i did that, and i said that i wasn't superstitious or anything like that, but that blade had gotten a taste of me, and i didn't want it coming back for seconds. normally he would have taken it out when i was gone, but this time he didn't.

heal up soon my friend, it will take time, and there will be pain, but you'll get through it with help from the boss (she knows she is), and from the guy above. good to hear you're sawing again, it took me a while before i switched that beast on. i cut a piece of scrap, and told myself that i got that first cut out of the way, and to get back to good stuff.

Last edited:
I always whistle the song, Whistle While you Work, when I enter the garage area, otherwise I always end up scaring Brent to death to the point that he reels back with flailing arms. I try to never enter when I hear a machine running.

The camera idea sounds good. It would be dual duty. Safety :thumb::thumb::thumb: and progress :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Little to add Dom, other than good wishes coming your way, and thanks for you putting your painful experience here to warn the rest of us. And oh yeah, happy belated birthday.

Thanks for all of the well wishes. And yes...I got that first cut out of the way. Using featherboards for everything now, which I should have been doing from the beginning.

You know...perhaps we should have a section on the forum for safety tips as they relate to certain equipment?

just a thought.

By the way...I had to spray some lacquer today and tried it with one hand. By accident I got some overspray on the bandage. I dropped what I was doing and ran to the sink to rip the bandage off just as the lacquer soaked through the bandage. I felt as though I met G-D.....WOW did that sting. But cleaned up and went back out with some plastic over the hand. I won't make that mistake again.

Thanks again guys and gals...it means a lot to me

:eek: Dom thanks for that wake up. Like others have said its tough on you and unpleasant but sharing it is one way to get some value from it for all of us. Sent shivers down my spine. But these types of posts keep me wide awake in the shop.

I have a phone and fire protection but my big concern is something wacking me like a flying object off the lathe or the table saw and landing on something else that whacks me so i am now lying on the floor out for the count.

The other thing i find is the phone can also be a distraction at the wrong time. In my shops case even the darn door. All it takes is for someone to cause you to look up at the wrong time. Back to concentration i suppose.

My Dad not having a shop right now, had a fall a while back and while lying in his cottage at the retirement viallge, on the floor with all the safety of a phone and even a panic button could not get help for an entire night. Panic button was on the wall at waste height and phone on a table.

The thing we need to think about here is making things accessible when you on the floor. I know this sounds extreme but it was a lesson for me when he told me of his ordeal on the floor all night. Cut me up being over here and him there.

My big fear is being in the shop and something like this happening. Yesterday i was in there all day apart from coming out for a cup of tea and sandwich. Point is my shop is so sealed up no one would hear me squeeling if i had to.

Been thinking about Brents ideas with video. Putting an el cheapo b/w video camera in the shop and monitor in the kitchen. Just for loml to be able to see movement.

I would add that in the first aid kit we should have a tourniquet specifically to try and stop blood flow, especially for those that are some ways to a hospital or far for paramedics to reach.

All the best Dom its actually a positive thing for us to keep our fear of those sharp edges.

Some of these things sound extreme but think about it, we had a discussion on the law suite issue regarding making the tool manufacturers use the safety technology that is available.

Well we need to do the same. Also briefing your better half on what to do if something does happen. Just so one has a game plan like a fire plan.

Rob I agree....fear turns into respect real quick. And you can bet your bottom dollar it won't happen to me again. I agree with you about everyone in the shop or house knowing what to do when a emergency arises. Perhaps a special area of this forum?...I don't know. Thanks again Rob....and enjoy the DVD