a few more turnings

Drew Watson

Like I was saying in Toni's post I started cleaning up my shop and finding some more projects that I had wanted to do. I had built some cheap drawers a few years back for another project that changed direction in mid stride and I knew one day that I would make some use of them so I put them away and forgot about them. So while cleaning the shop I found them and decided to put them to use. I dug up some MDF and assembled one of the many shop organization projects that i have been wanting to do. This time it was the lathe. I still have two more drawers to build tomorrow.

While i was at it and thinking of it I took some pics of some of the projects that I have been working on this past week. One is of a yellow cedar burl with a rough natural edge ( if that is how it is said) one bowl and potporii is of chestnut. The little stand is of Arbutus ( madrona) and the little top is of Cherry wood. I was just getting back to turning and was having some difficulty with the grinder and angles till Stu gave me a hand with one of his many tutorial videos and a quick PM. Thanks again Stu that jig worked great. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

What a great family that we have here. :thumb::thumb:

Attachments

• Misc 146.JPG
    Misc 146.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Misc 147.JPG
    Misc 147.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Misc 159.JPG
    Misc 159.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Misc 156.JPG
    Misc 156.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 51
  • Misc 149.JPG
    Misc 149.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Misc 154.JPG
    Misc 154.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 45
Thanks. They were fun to turn. It was the first burl I have ever tried. A bit trickey to get the tools in and not take a knucle off, but it was fun I shut it down early as some of my past attempts at interior hollowing have ended in disaster as I have always pushed the envelope on what I am comfortable doing. I wanted to keep this one though. I didn't put a finish on it as i love the smell of the cedar.

Nice work Drew!

I'm glad the article by Kirk De Heer about sharpening helped you out, I use the system all the time and boy does it work!

Link to the PDF article >> here <<

I have permission from the author to distribute this article freely! :thumb:

I also made a YouTube video about it >> HERE <<

Cheers!

Very well thought out your lathe area Drew. I like the draws and access to the tools.

The natural edge bowl is absolutely awsome and the platter one almost looks like marble. Very Very nice. I like the color of those woods. :thumb::thumb::thumb: You sure churning them out now.:thumb:

Very well thought out your lathe area Drew. I like the draws and access to the tools.

I had been thinking about this lots Rob. That space has always been a problem with the wood chips collecting as has the space on the wall behind the lathe ( shelves suck wood chips :rofl:) . I would have liked to build an entire cabinet with more drawers and a space to mount a DC hose but then I would have to store the stand somewhere. This was the compromise. I am still trying to figure a way to get the DC attached. All Idea are appreciated. :thumb:

Those look like fun Drew! Don't ya lovefinding stuff in a corner?!

Yea I do as it just frees up more space to...... put more stuff !! :woot::woot::crazy: :rofl::rofl:

I am just a knob today as I am making 12 knobs to make for the drawers.The first few were the learning curve but after making some adjustments to some of the tools and making up a few more wrench sizing tools it is just crusing along. :thumb: Will submit pics later today.

As promised here are some pics. I did get all the knobs turned out of some maple I had laying around and re built the faces of all the drawers with some better birch ply and made the last two drawers. I actually am trying to keep the shop clean too. It is amazing. :thumb::rofl::rofl:

Attachments

• Shop drawers 005.JPG
    Shop drawers 005.JPG
    116.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Shop drawers 002.JPG
    Shop drawers 002.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 9
Ok It was clean but as anyone that turns knows it just doesn't last too long:rofl: I looked at how clean it was and decided to test just how dust free the drawers would stay, nothing major just wanted to finish off something out of chestnut that I was working on before I started cleaning the shop. I am glad to report that they keep all the chips out and anything I need is at an arms reach away without having to move anywhere. That is really nice for a change and it allows me to get to the back of the lathe so I can get it cleaned up before the cats find it. :thumb::thumb:

Oh and Cynthia this is what I like about the Nova lathes is that you can turn the head right around so that I can work it from any angle. It came with the outrigger so I have a mobile banjo to mount my tool rest into.

The bowl was just something I wanted to do that try out some different things in the way of design. I am not sure just what I think of it. :dunno: Any input ( good or bad) is appreciated. :thumb:

Oh yea by the way it is clean again.

Attachments

• A Mess 002.JPG
    A Mess 002.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 7
  • A Mess 003.JPG
    A Mess 003.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 9
  • A Mess 005.JPG
    A Mess 005.JPG
    95.6 KB · Views: 5
  • A Mess 006.JPG