The things they sell at Harbor Freight these days...

Kevin Brady

I just received my latest Harbor Freight catalog in the mail and found this item featured on page 24. Freudian slip? Or perhaps someone in their advertising department with a sense of humor? Note the catalog date in the 2nd photo. Somebody send them a dictionary and a calendar. :D

Cheers,

Kevin

Attachments

• slimeline.jpg
    slimeline.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 103
  • catalog.jpg
    catalog.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 81
Yeah Kevin,
It would be hard to pass that first one off as a typo, and it doesn’t even rise to the level of a good spoonerism.

It does remind me however of what I think was a real typo from many years ago… can’t remember now whether it was McMaster Carr or another distributor… but I think it said “Heavy Sex Bolts”.

True story! I ain’t lyin’!

My favorite business name is on So. Park St. in Madison, Wisconsin: Ideal Body Shop.

Heck the "E" is not even close to the "M" on my keyboard :D

I'll bet stuff like this goes on all the time, they must be under some heavy deadlines in that business.

My fav business name was in the Blues Brothers, Carrie Fisher's character's hair salon "Curl-up & Dye" :D

This was an actual restaurant about 2 miles from my house until a few years ago. I can't imagine why they never seemed to have much business. :huh:

PooPingReduced2.jpg

:rolleyes:

Hmm, I wonder if HF's Slime Line is the top line they carry or mid-range?:rofl:

Back in my days as a government bureaucrat, I issued IT budget formulation instructions to the component offices of our agency. Large offices got different instructions from small offices. I actually sent out a memo to about 50 people directed to "Large Orifice Directors." Never lived that down. Got several calls asking which orifices were the large ones.:doh:

I don't know about slime lines, but sex bolts are a real thing. Can't remember what they are now, but I remember a welder/machinist friend of mine refering to them about 10 years ago. I may have to google it now, I'm curious.

John

Sure enough John,:)
From McMaster Carr:
“Nuts
Barrel Nut Type
Heavy Duty With Screws… Also known as sex bolts, Boston Screws, and architectural bolts, these screws are designed to anchor all types of hardware. Include an unslotted truss head barrel and an 82° Phillips flathead screw. A ¼” long knurl under the barrelhead stops rotation.”

Fastenal and virtually every other hardware supplier has them too, but for something like this, Top Screw Metal Corp. seems like the best source.:eek: :rofl:

Sex bolts from Top Screw, Yikes! I think we're gonna get a talking to if we're not careful!

As I remember the name has a very mundane explaination. An acronym or something.

My favorite mis-translated text was in the Owner's Manual for the Yamaha Electric Grand Piano, when it was first released in the US. In the section talking about attaching the legs to the piano cabinet, they meant to say "screw the legs into the base of the cabinet." Unfortunately (and hilariously), the translators replaced "screw" with a more colorful euphemism (brought to you by the letter "F").

There are lots of sites on the Internet with collections of funny Engrish translations. Here's one example.
Cheers,
Kevin
Hey Kevin,
Engrish, Chingrish etc. are fascinating languages, but Richard Lederer, author of hilarious books such as Anguished English, shows us we need not leave this country (USA), to :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: at word usage. He now has a weekly program on NPR.

About 20 years ago I heard him read his retelling of the Cinderella story, and one line from that will never leave my memory:

“… and Dindercella slopped her dripper.”

Frank that sounds like the guy from the show in the 70's ...Hee Haw...I think wording things like that were called spoonerisms.:huh:

Frank that sounds like the guy from the show in the 70's ...Hee Haw...I think wording things like that were called spoonerisms.:huh:
Steve, just today I was up at a dairy farm on the ridge where one of our local consummate mechanics has a repair shop. There was an old green tractor in there, but I couldn’t tell whether it was an Oliver or a Deere. But anyhow he has a rotating beam hoist that he built with heavy truck hubs top and bottom. Very cool guy. Every movement he made was deliberate and applied to the task at hand. I felt that I was in the presence of a Master.

He was doing my exhaust from the (NEW!) headers back. No schedule cards or anything like that… he just eyeballs the bends and checks as he goes. This is the kind of shop where you don’t drop off your vehicle or wait in a dirty sterile room drinking bad coffee while he works. I helped him and his real helper. My cherry bombs were still good so he welded them into the new assemblage (I could have welded them better, but I have run a semi-load of wire). (That was probably an exaggeration.)

While we are working, a couple guys who were likely from Mexico came in asking for work on the farm. He declined their offer.

So when the job is done I start writing a check while he does the bill. Then he calls me into the room with all the books and the desk, and gives me a bill that is half what I am expecting. He said that as a repeat customer (a guy I worked with in the eighties and early nineties built this truck from parts, and Jerry had rebuilt the transmission). So I am flabbergasted. Jerry knows that I am moving to Tucson, so he shares with me the fact that when he rebuilt my tranny 15 years ago, he had a guy working for him who was also from Tucson, and whom he remembers fondly. The man’s name is Emmanuel Transmission.

I just received my latest Harbor Freight catalog Note the catalog date in the 2nd photo. Somebody send them a dictionary and a calendar. :D

Cheers,

Kevin

Hey Kevin, Nothing Wrong with that Calendar Date,......They're just trying to stay One Step ahead of the Competition,...........you know, all the merchants that used to start advertising X-mas goods AFTER Thanksgiving, but NOW Start after July 4 th.:rolleyes: :D

I've been thinking,:rolleyes: .......maybe that Slimeline toolbox is a NEW "special" box for Slobs that put their tools up "Greasy".:huh: :dunno: