Removing Water Stains with Oxalic Acid???

Bill Satko

My brother has a project where a client had some bay windows and skylights that were never finished. Problem is now they are stained from water. He asked me if Oxalic Acid would remove the stains. I told him that I thought it would, but I wondered if it would not whiten the wood so much that he would have to apply some stain so that the wood would resemble it's natural state. His clients are wanting a natural look with a clear finish. He does not know what type of wood it is.

Will Oxalic Acid work for removing the stains and can he finish with clear finish right after or should he count on some stain to duplicate the wood tone before finishing?

Bill

I had success with denatured alcohol and then diluted bleach. Went back over it with the stain and then finish. Worked on rust damage to some very old wooden window sills.

Hope this helps

The only way I know of removing water stained areas on wood from condensation, rain and poor flashing methods is with Wood bleach 2 part.

For water soluble stains you would want to use Alcohol and synthetic steel wools and rags to soak up the alcohol that has emulsified the water stain.

The 2 part I use will turn it pure white, I don't think that what he is after.

It may be that my brother won't have a choice, Don. First priority will be to remove the water stain without bleaching out the wood tone, but he may just have to do that to get it out. He will just have to stain the wood to match a natural appearance.

Thanks Dave, I am sure my brother will find out that you are correct, a 2 part bleach will be needed. He will probably try the Oxalic Acid first and then move on from there. Even though it was not my problem, I have learned something.