Hello from Tokyo

Kyle Murphy

Dear All,

I just joined Family Woodworking and would like to introduce myself. I have been living in Asia most of my adult life. I first came to Japan in 1972 and have been here most of the time since.

I have always been interested in the beauty of wood. At Craft fairs I always wind up buying something, not because I need it, but because of its inherent beauty. The problem, living in Tokyo, is having the space to pursue a wood oriented hobby.

In 2003 or so, I had a weekend house on a small river on the coast of Japan. It had a garage. So, I took the plunge and bought a lathe. I also bought a used drill press that I found in a recycle shop. I was a happy camper when until 2008 when the building was torn down (I had moved the shop to Tokyo in 2004). For the last three years I have not done anything. Now, I am getting a woodshop again and so I can resume my hobby of making very expensive toothpicks. Maybe with this forum's help I can make some other things as well.

Best wishes,

Kyle:wave:

He Kyle, welcome we have another woodworker from Tokyo. His name is Stu Ablett and he has his woodworking shop in a space below the building he lives in. He call it the Dungen. He also is a turner among other things. Do a search on his name here and you will see a lot of info on him.

Thank you for the welcome

Dear All,

Thank you for the kind welcome. I just met Stu recently and I think he will keep a better eye on me than me him. I have something in common with Tom. I went to Purdue. I hope that does not make me a bad person.

At any rate, I did not give a full description. My new woodshop is up at Mt. Fuji very near one of the five lakes of Fuji- Kawaguchi Ko (lake). Right now, it is 37 sq meters of walkout basement that is not enclosed. I hope to send pictures later on.

I do not have any equipment except some handtools, my chucks and a bunch of unsharpened gouges. I need to purchase a lathe, a bandsaw and a drill press. I have a grinder. The rest will have to wait, unless I can get it cheap.

I used to have a VicMarc 300VL but had to sell it. I will start with a midi I think and then see how it goes. At any rate, hope to communicate with you all over the months. Right now, I got to go to work to make some money so I can buy the lathe.

Best wishes,

Kyle

Welcome Kyle!!!
Good memory Don!
Yep, graduated in '86 in Vocational Agriculture emphasis in Agri-Business/Production Agriculture. Look forward to seeing some pictures Kyle of your work and work area. When were you at Purdue? Doing what?