Shop First Aid Kit link with video instructions

Rob Keeble

Hi All

Given Doms current post on his accident. For all those wondering about what to do for a shop first aid kit see this video.

The guy is probably a doctor or paramedic because he mentions what he has seen in the emergency room. This is specific to our needs.

Here is the You tube version but if you go to his site he even has a download list of contents and sign in pdf form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elJacuSYS5g&feature=player_embedded

http://foldingrule.blogspot.com/

So now all you gotta do is get it together.

Here is the container he used available at Home Depot USA if you want to make the exact same kit.

Well worth taking a look at the video. Some good tips some well you decide.:)

Just an aside rant, i have no understanding why HD USA can sell this storage kit for $16.97 US and here in Canada with the Loonie nearly being 1:1 we have to look at paying $29 Canadian. See what i mean about getting gouged up here and thats without the 13% HST tax. I dont have a problem with the tax but man if it was $20 i could still understand.:huh::bang::deadhorse::pullhair:

some tidbits Ill throw in-
IF you are going to put any drugs into your first aid kit, either leave them in the original container or label them carefully so if someone else takes them, they know what they are swallowing.
Also, put an expiration date on any drug you transfer into another container because drugs get real old real fast, and thinking over the counter medications cant really harm you, well, thats foolish thinking.

The you-tube url should be seen by all woodworkers and their families. If you don't look, I will think you are crazy.

I used to volunteer teach First Aid for the American Red Cross. They always assigned the teen-age girls (usually scout stuff) to me...No one else had guts enough to do it. You could hear us for blocks---yelling---screaming---laughing and learning.

They also gave me all of the nurses because I have a Dr. in front of my name. However, it was for the same reason...No one else had the guts to do it. I think they feared that the nurses knew more than they did.

The URL is excellent. I would add: Make the First Aid Kit so it will fall off of the shelf if you want it and you are on the floor. You could use a cord tied to the handle and let it hang down. You could mount the kit on a door of your "base cabinet" instead of the above the counter cabinet.

Eye cups are quite low on my list. Eye cups wash all of the germs from your lids, lashes and probably some from your hands into the cul-de-sacs between the eye globe and the lids (that is a nice warm place for the little critters to multiply).

Irrigation is vastly superior. I don't know about Canada, however, Sav-On and similar have a pack of two large, totally sealed, bottles of saline solution for about six bucks. The lid is loose. When you screw it down to tighten, it punctures the saline bottle creating an opening. Then you can squeeze the bottle and the saline squirts or dribbles out depending on how hard you squeeze.

Watch the url.

Enjoy,

Jim

Last edited:
Thanks Rob, that's very useful. I'd like to add one thing. One of the most common bad injuries would be a bleeding injury. Some simple 100% cotton dish towels washed in hot water and ironed are just about sterile. I would add 2 or 3 or those folded up in a cupboard if they don't fit in your first aid box. A few sterile gauze pads don't help if you're bleeding profusely.

FWIW,
cynthia

I think more than think about we should have a thread where we show each other our first aid kits to make sure we get one sorted out.

Thats even worth a prize for the best contribution to safety. Hey mods we got any prizes for a contest like this.:D

This should be a non negotiable item in the shop.

As dad mentioned the first aid kit location in the video is very poor. I can think of a few things that might happen that would make me unable to reach way up over my head to get at it. Mine is actually on the floor. the top is tight enough for safety but loose enough to be removed with one trembling hand. It is a $1 rubber-maid-like shoe box sized container.

My phone is also located quite low and near the exit to outdoors per an article by folks who know about such things. The logic there is similar to the first aid kit location. Low enough to reach in case I've . . . . wait for it . . . "fallen and I can't get up" :D. It is by the door for that last speed dial call to 911 as I exit the burning building (long handset cord too). The low and easily accessible locations serve other scenarios but, you get the idea.

Easily accessible and in non-changing and known locations:
- first aid kit
- phone
- fire extinguishers

Be safe, be diligent, don't be a hack and don't procrastinate. If you have not covered these things, do so now, please :).

Last edited:
This is a good post Rob, lots of good common sense. So Far (and I knocking on wood as I post this) I've only need an occasional band-aid from my meager little first-aid kit. One thing that wasn't listed as a neccessity in the first air kit... your brains. Most of us are guilty of sometimes turning them off and not applying what we know about safety. Most of the time when I've gotten dinged in the shop and again knocking on wood, it's only been dings to date... it's because I either don't pay close enough attention or I think I can be superman and do things I really can't. My last ding was my thumb.. I had a square of wood tht I was drilling to make one of my wine stands... I thought I could just hold it with my left hand while I pulled the drill press down with a 1 3/8's forstner bit and punch a hole in a piece of glued up wood... maple and a couple of South American hard woods... I know beyond a shadow of doubt that I don't have that much strength in my hand and when the bit caught the wood and spun it, my thumb took the hit and for about a second I thought I had torn the nail off... only dinged the side of the nail, but sure hurt like the dickens... include our brains in the first aid kit.

On your rant about pricing.... my wife is diabetic and takes insulin plus another drug to keep her blood sugar in line... because of the number of and extent of her medications, she is now in the "doughnut" hole until the new year starts... we're covered for the insulin, but the pill she needs will be over $140 per month in the U.S... she's found an online pharmacy in Canada for the same drug for $40 per month... we haven't ordered yet, as she has to talk to her doctor next week and see if it's viable, but that's a big difference in pricing for the same drug.

I think more than think about we should have a thread where we show each other our first aid kits to make sure we get one sorted out.

Thats even worth a prize for the best contribution to safety. Hey mods we got any prizes for a contest like this.:D

This should be a non negotiable item in the shop.

I agree. Safety is just another procedure in our shops. Just like the way we do joints, sanding,finishing,etc. Would be a great idea to share what we do in the shop to help safety

Hi folks,
I remember an article in a magazine years ago about shop safety. I remember two items. One, find out the name of the best hand surgeon in your area and keep their phone number in your wallet. Two, Install a phone in your shop near floor level. You might need to crawl to it if you're injured enough. Now days with cell phones on all our belts, that might not be necessary. Not pleasant to think about, but good advice anyway.

Be safe,
Bob

A list of the items that should be included in every wood shop first aid kit. From another source>

2 absorbent compress dressings (5 by 9 inches)
25 adhesive bandages (assorted sizes)
1 adhesive cloth tape (10 yards by 1 inch)
5 antibiotic ointment packets (approximately 1 gram)
5 antiseptic wipe packets
2 packets of aspirin (81 mg each)
1 blanket (space blanket)
1 breathing barrier (with one-way valve)
1 instant cold compress
2 pair of non latex gloves (size: large)
2 hydro cortisone ointment packets (approximately 1 gram each)
Scissors
1 roller bandage (3 inches wide)
1 roller bandage (4 inches wide)
5 sterile gauze pads (3 by 3 inches)
5 sterile gauze pads (4 by 4 inches)
Oral thermometer (non-mercury/non glass)
2 triangular bandages
Tweezers
First aid instruction booklet
Large bottle of Beta dine to wash out large cuts
Burn cream
Smelling salts
Butterfly closure bandages
Mirror
1 gallon plastic seal able bag (e.g., to carry an amputated finger or hand to the hospital)

And for less then 30 bucks...it could be yours

http://www.amazon.com/First-Aid-Onl...ef=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1289347483&sr=1-3

My only problem with this kit is it seems to me as if some of the items would be really tough to use( get out of the box and storage bags) if you had missing digits.

I don't have a solution but it seems to be a real issue to me. Another problem Is I often work on my vehicles outside. In fact the last stitches I need were from a wrench slipping On an O2 sensor underneath a vehicle all by myself many yards from the house or phone. Thank goodness it was a simple enough wound that I got to the house and drove myself to my doctor. He likes to handle these if they are not life threatening as they give him a break from the routine. This was a cut to the palm and not some severed digits or something like that...

But even then it can be tough to get first aid stuff out with one hand lids off ect..

Any ideas for this or am I the only one with this concern?
Garry

Guys theres a combination of good points here that i think i might just make a pdf for us on the dos and donts.

I dont think the cell phone is a reliable solution to a phone. As Glenn pointed out land line and as i have said before and agree with Jim and Glenn and anyone else who said down low. Including first aid kit.

I have a similar kit to the one shown for in the house but not one like that for the shop. To me the house one travels so it holds closed. But i dont put the stuff into packets. Just shove it in.

Think about it. This stuff is only going to be a temporary dressing even if you live aways from the local hospital. Once you get there they gonna dispose of it. So its not so much about it being perfectly sterile as it is to have it accessible and open already. You very well probably gonna have to treat yourself. You know Murphy, he strikes when everyone is not there and no one to help you quickly.

I think a neighbors number is just as important to program. Heck i will try my NN:rofl::rofl::rofl: he is bound to come running with a cleaver.:D

Cordless phone again is unreliable. If it did not get put back on the hook could be flat when you need it.

Glenns point about the container is also extremely valid. Gotta be a tip and open kinda thing.

One thing i have in my kit is actual stiches. Comes from fly fishing. If you every out and get a hook caught and its got a barb, the best way to get it out is push it through cut the eye off and pull it out by pushing it forward. Then you most likely need a stitch or two to close it up so you can get back to a doc. :) I dont plan on trying that with severed digits but a cut well that could be different if need be. The needles are already threaded and attached to the gut and they very sharp so you dont really feel them when you in shock and pain. Can be done single handed two with long nose pliers. ;)

Most important its not about it being fancy its about it being functional and available. :thumb:

I doubt many people have a even half decent first aid kit in their home. Most of the ones sold are junk. But then with the decline in the attendance at things like scouts how many can actually use em.

Rob, I'd like to add a couple of comments. For those of us with shops in the home, I'm wondering if the first aid kit might be better off inside the house. I mean you obviously need something for bleeding, but if I was going to clean and dress a cut, I'd go inside. Wouldn't you want to wash up? I don't have a sink in the shop (not yet anyway). I'm just wondering........ obviously if you're not attached to your house you need the first aid kit right at hand. I totally agree with the phone kept down low.

Also, in our case, Glassman's shop is not connected to the house, and is about 20 yards away, so we are also planning on keeping walkie talkies with us, mainly for the purpose of asking for help.

I think the stitching idea is a good one if you're far from civilization, but most of us aren't going to try to stitch up ourselves......

I think the stitching idea is a good one if you're far from civilization, but most of us aren't going to try to stitch up ourselves......

I don't know about the stitching... but I've been known to put a few drops of CA on a cut in the shop... sometimes that hurts worse than the cut, but does stop the bleeding... luckily so far (we need a knock on wood smilie here) I've only had a few minor cuts... worse injury I've had to date has been a black eye from a flying bowl. (Again, knock on wood (Two raps to side of the head))

Safety is a critical part of our shop time and while we may make little jokes about it, it really isn't a joking matter.

I checked my kit this morning. I need to go to the drug store and get a few of the bandages that have a clotting agent in them. Just in case.

The phone I have in the basement is one of the old fashioned ones. Large buttons and it hangs on the wall. No batteries so If there is a power outage or if a breaker trips I can still use the phone.

I have used CA glue several times for nasty cuts. It works well. I also use it for getting out splinters.

If I got a cut large enough to go to the hospital I don't think I'd worry too much about getting or keeping the cut clean. I would wrap it in anything handy and let them clean it out.