Walnut and Ash

Just thought it interesting to throw out photos of walnut and ash as compared to ash and walnut. Both have chrome pulls. They are on MY desk drawers and that is why the pulls are off TDC a wee bit. :rofl: There is a real difference between the drawer fronts yet they have the same materials and pattern.
Learning what we like takes time, but can be found through experimentation and open minded guidance.:rofl: :rofl: BLAH BLAH BLAH
Shaz :wave:
wal and  ch drawer frt 002.jpg

wal and  ch drawer frt 003.jpg

Well Shaz....I like Ash no matter how you use it.....but you knew I was gonna say that.:D

My own preference, I like the one that is mostly Ash....but either one is very nice work.

Those are some really cool files. I like the contrast between the wood. I assume you cut both panels at the same time?

As to being a little off TDC, wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all lined up???:p

Well Shaz....I like Ash no matter how you use it.....but you knew I was gonna say that.:D

My own preference, I like the one that is mostly Ash....but either one is very nice work.
Hi Steve, :wave:
Thanks very much. I to like ash, has that memorable smell and that awsome grain. You should see it take analine dye< whoaaaaaaaa get bacK!!!!!!!!
Oh, really like your round wooden logo.:thumb:
Shaz:)

Those are some really cool files. I like the contrast between the wood. I assume you cut both panels at the same time? Yes ,Ed absolutely correct,two pieces of sized plywood, masking taped together then band sawed= two equal but opposite patterned panels, oh well my secret is out.hmmmmm:rofl: :rofl:

As to being a little off TDC, wouldn't the world be a boring place if we all lined up???:p
Hi Ed, :wave:
Amen Brother.:D TDC is off to me...:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Shaz, those drawers are very reminiscent of some paper towel holders I've made. Sick minds must think alike. ;) These pics were taken a few months after the holder was put into use, so it's a bit dirty and the photography isn't great:

Wave 2a 600.jpg Wave 2b 600.jpg

I failed to get pictures of the "negative" version of this one, but I made the two at the same time...one for Sis and one for Mom. This is oak and jatoba, with a maple accent stripe between the two woods. The top piece is held on with rare earth magnets.

Shaz, those drawers are very reminiscent of some paper towel holders I've made. Sick minds must think alike. ;) YES Yes my blonde haired friend.:D These pics were taken a few months after the holder was put into use, so it's a bit dirty and the photography isn't great:

View attachment 4673 View attachment 4672

I failed to get pictures of the "negative" version of this one, but I made the two at the same time...one for Sis and one for Mom. We do think alike in that the best gifts are for our loved ones. This is oak and jatoba,they work real well I think, with a maple accent stripe between the two woods. The top piece is held on with rare earth magnets. How does that work?[/quote]

Hi Vaughn, :wave:
Thanks for the interjection of the similar but different.:rolleyes: I am glad to see these photos, your design is right on! :thumb:
Tell me about these rare earth "gotta be California " magnets..
Shaz

...The top piece is held on with rare earth magnets. How does that work?...
I countersunk magnets in the little steel cups on one surface, and stacks of washers on the other. (It was about 10 washers per stack as I recall...needed the steel mass to get enough grip.) Here's a pic from an earlier version that didn't have the wave running through the top and bottom. The maple accent stripe shows up a bit better on this one, though.

Wave1f 640.jpg

You can see there were two magnets to hold the edge of the top, and one where the top meets the towel rod. It worked out pretty well. You can lift the whole thing by the top and shake it gently without pulling off the top, but if you grab the edge and twist a bit the top comes off pretty easily.

I really have a thing for curves like this in flatwork. ;)

Cherry Wave Box 2.4 800.jpg

Now that I've thoroughly hijacked this thread, I'll move along...:wave: :D

I countersunk magnets in the little steel cups on one surface, and stacks of washers on the other. (It was about 10 washers per stack as I recall...needed the steel mass to get enough grip.) Here's a pic from an earlier version that didn't have the wave running through the top and bottom. The maple accent stripe shows up a bit better on this one, though.Thanks for sharing that. It solves problems and seems to work. Where are these magnets and the nice finished cap you use. Maple stripe is a nice addition.:thumb:

View attachment 4706

You can see there were two magnets to hold the edge of the top, and one where the top meets the towel rod. It worked out pretty well. You can lift the whole thing by the top and shake it gently without pulling off the top, but if you grab the edge and twist a bit the top comes off pretty easily.

I really have a thing for curves like this in flatwork. ;) Yeah, me too.:)

View attachment 4707

Now that I've thoroughly hijacked this thread, I'll move along...:wave: :D

Hey Vaughn so are some reall... oops sorry Shaz I was about to comment on Vaughn's hijackin hijinxs. Great pieces of work all.
Hi vaughn and Alex.
I appreciate your concern about hijacking and in reality it is probably a thought to keep in mind:eek: but not with me, maybe someone else. I enjoy the interaction in whatever way it goes, and find the input stimulating. However, thanks for your consideration, and the valuable input...Hijack this:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Shaz

Shaz, Lee Valley has them... Magnets and Cups and More Fun Stuff. :wave:
Hi Vaughn, :wave:
Thanks for the link, up to lately I had never heard of Lee Valley (Lehigh Valley.. yes, Squaw Valley, Beaver Valley and the Shenendoah Valley but nit Lee) and who is this lessle nielson or what ever you speak of?:rofl:
Honestly, never heard if him/it, and how did he/they/it get on a hat?:huh: What do he does?:D
Shaz
P.S. Do love the looks of those magnets and the caps.:thumb: