dovetails

ken werner

So it's been several months since I made any dovetails, and I decided to make a box or few, as I have a friend with a 50th birthday coming up - no worries he doesn't read this.

It is awful how awful I've gotten. Seems like I'm starting all over again. Like the musician said when asked how to get to Carnegie Hall "practice practice practice"

No pics. T:(oo ashamed.

You are right, they are not like riding a bike that once you learn you never forget.

One loose the knack of them very soon. That reminds me that I've got to start cutting dovetails again.:(

You are right, they are not like riding a bike that once you learn you never forget.

One loose the knack of them very soon. That reminds me that I've got to start cutting dovetails again.:(

I think I am a little odd in that regard. In some things I do, I perform really well cold, then get worse for a while before I can match my initial effort. Happens all the time when I golf, first swings are perfect and then things get a little shaky before I regroup. I blame my tendency to think about the process and then "tinker" (meaning: adjust) with it.

Early last summer, I decided at the last minute to build a traveling toolcase before a woodworking class. I quickly cut out the dovetails before I had time to think about the process and they were perfect. A little more time to think about it and I would have really screwed them up. I will commit to posting pictures before Don or one of deputies call me on it.

Here are some pictures of a smallish box I'm making for my friend. It's about 9 inches long. Cherry and birdseye maple. The bottom is bookmatched. The quarter is for scale of the dovetails. Few coats of shellac, more to come.

Attachments

• box 3-4b small.jpg
    box 3-4b small.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 31
  • box close-up small.jpg
    box close-up small.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 33
  • box bottom small.jpg
    box bottom small.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 26
well, a little more practice and it does get better. Note to self: don't go so long between doing them again.

practicing.jpg

Looks great Ken! I see that I am not the only denting the softer secondary wood during the process. As much as I try to keep my bench clear of chips, inadvertently some end up under some wood while chopping causing the softer wood to dent.

Well, when I dent something that shouldn't be, I just steam it out. Maybe I should post a tutorial on that. These pieces were just scrap, I was practicing. I think the dents were there before I started. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Rob, I should have read the instructions, I added the toot here, and left another one in the T&T section, so now comments can go with it.

Cynthia, thanks for your kind words.