Airplanes for Christmas

Jeb Taylor

Starting up my own airline this christmas. I've been working on these for a couple months, but between fighting and now surgery for carpal tunnel, selling a house, moving, etc they're just now getting finished.

10 have landing gear on them, but 5 of them were for 2-3 yr olds so I left the smallest parts off. They're made from cherry and some old hardwood flooring out of a 1904 house. I think it was some type of light weight oak or chestnut.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1169.jpg
    IMG_1169.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1233.jpg
    IMG_1233.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 80
Awe Jeb I wish you had not shown us those...:D..now i am gonna have to make some. They are really cool. When i was a young un around 10 thats how i got started with woodworking making my own toys on my Dads combo machine. Except i turned out machine guns made with 1,5x1,5 pine.:)

You got plans you would be willing to share? I guess the thing with those planes is you cannot just make one.:D

I really like them. very cool Xmas presents and i bet the kids that get them absolutely love em.

Well, from my experience building:

Don't dado the body for the wing if you have the backs and fronts swept. It's kind of a pain to get the front/back of the main wing to both have an angle and control the front-back length of the wing to fit int he dado. I ended up having to cut mine short and glue in a spacer because they were off.

Epoxy or gorilla glue the landing gear and motors. I had trouble with those, ended up going back and breaking every landing gear and motor back off, scraping the glue off, and using gorilla glue.