Planting trees for future wood

Cynthia, I don't have any data to back it up, but I suspect the vast majority of the hobbyist lumber mill guys don't plant trees with the intention of harvesting them. There are some one-man forester operations that do plant trees to replace the ones they cut, but as Paul mentioned, I think most of that is for pulp products more than lumber.

I did see a web site a few years ago advertising shares in a "planting for lumber" operation in Central or South America. The sales pitch was to buy in now to finance the growing operation, then reap the profits (or get your own lumber stash) 10 to 20 years down the road when the wood was harvested and sold as exotic hardwood.

Hi Cynthia
A good friend of mine planted about 50 Paulownia trees,when he first bought his property of 15 acres, that was 15 years ago, and he is now cutting and milling them for all us hobbyists to use, lovely timber ,but of course Paulownia is one of the fastest growing trees .
This kayak is made with his timber.
Cheers
Graham

Attachments

• 2 hamilton lakesmall .jpg
    2 hamilton lakesmall .jpg
    119 KB · Views: 25
I had considered doing that on some family land but I was looking at 30 years from what I read to harvest walnut and cherry. If I ever move out of town, I figure I'll just find some land that's already got a mix of older hardwoods on it.

How long do you plan to live? :eek:
Sounds like a very impractical idea to me.
It has been said, if you want to leave a fortune to your grandchildren buy a plot of land and plant it with walnut trees. Then deed the property to them in your will.

I've heard of Walnut farms in the eastern US where the farmer is cutting the timber that his grandfather planted and he is planting for his grandchildren.

I've heard of Walnut farms in the eastern US where the farmer is cutting the timber that his grandfather planted and he is planting for his grandchildren.

Back in the day, My old mentor and college teacher began class one day by saying, "I'm going to tell you how to send your grandchildren to college". He went on to tell us to buy some land and plant Walnut trees. Won't be able to reap the value but your heirs will benifit. Als insisted that re-planting be included in the conditions of inheiratance.

I have never had "land" butmy daughter does and so I have been taking walnuts, hickory nuts, and pecans into their woods and "squirreling" them
Several have sprouted, and may someday replace the tall Ashes as the Emerald Ash Borer infestation gets closer.

Vote me as :thumb: in favor of planting trees for harvest.

Cynthia when I was 4 yrs old I planted a seedling that I was given in my mothers flower/ veggie garden. That was 1965. The house just came on the market this year and I went for a tour of the old place and the seedling had grown a little. I had to take a pic of me beside it as this is what 45 yrs of growth is like.

Attachments

• 1937 Appleton Plc 087.JPG
    1937 Appleton Plc 087.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 42
I am planting a mix of trees on my property - some for lumber that I may get to use, some I will probably not live to see used. I am hoping my kids benefit, but who knows...

I thought about planting Paulownia, but research indicated that the roots get very large and can get hard to contain.

Not sure I will get to use them, but maybe my kids or the new owners :D

I've planted several hundred oaks and walnuts.

May as well, I don't really farm, mostly use it to hunt and to support my hermit lifestyle:p . So many benefits to planting trees.

I thought about planting Paulownia, but research indicated that the roots get very large and can get hard to contain.[/QUOTE]

Dont know where that came from :huh:,they seem pretty normal to me .
have a look at this . these are about 10 yrs old
Graham

Attachments

• winter_felling_sized.jpg
    winter_felling_sized.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 37
Hi Cynthia
A good friend of mine planted about 50 Paulownia trees,when he first bought his property of 15 acres, that was 15 years ago, and he is now cutting and milling them for all us hobbyists to use, lovely timber ,but of course Paulownia is one of the fastest growing trees .
This kayak is made with his timber.
Cheers
Graham

wow that Paulownia is spectacular!

How long do you plan to live? :eek:
Sounds like a very impractical idea to me.
It has been said, if you want to leave a fortune to your grandchildren buy a plot of land and plant it with walnut trees. Then deed the property to them in your will.

hahahahhahhaa :rofl: :rofl: well, Frank, at least another week or two...but you never know....my thinking was that stuff grows really fast out here. A landscaper here told me that a sequoia can have a trunk 2 feet in diameter in 10 years.....So I was thinking why not plant some stuff that I'd really like to use and then harvest it to use it.....or leave it alone for my kids and grandkids......(assuming I'll get some grandkids)....

That practice was/is done in the Sequoia's and King's National Forest. Several foresters in CenCal work on this premise in an attempt at re-forestation. Hearing from some old wood workers in the valley, the redwood and cedar isn't the same. Bugs wouldn't touch the old stuff. Now, due to lack of age or whatever...the lumber isn't the same:huh:

I've got a friend in Arkansas who has done just what you speak of. He replanted about 10 acres with a variety hardwoods native to his area. I think he is think the same thing everyone else is thinking, will I ever harvest these trees? Answer is I would not bet on it. Already like myself in his late 50s so add 30 years and you get the picture. While we are on the subject of planting trees, why would you plant exotics. There is already a problem with invasive species throughout North America and they are forcing out the native forest. They usually grow faster and reproduce faster and have fewer checks and balances on their growth. "Plant only natives"