is this a Jim King special ?

Looks like a djembe [gem-bay]to me - a traditional African drum. LOML has one she likes to bang on when she's home alone. She's of Algerian descent and it's big part of her culture.

I was in a djembe maker's shop in Madagascar and he sure didn't have anything as hi-tech as what's in the video! That's a really slick rig.

There are tons of these available on eBay. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• djembe.JPG
    djembe.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 12
Turning

I am waiting for this one. It will be here in a couple of months and will turn up to 8 foot diameter. Going to make a hot tub. The last I´ve heard it is going to be crated and going to Houston.

Attachments

• BIG LATHE.jpg
    BIG LATHE.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 32
Looks like a djembe [gem-bay]to me - a traditional African drum. LOML has one she likes to bang on when she's home alone. She's of Algerian descent and it's big part of her culture.

I was in a djembe maker's shop in Madagascar and he sure didn't have anything as hi-tech as what's in the video! That's a really slick rig.

There are tons of these available on eBay. Here's a pic:

You got it Ian,

Interesting story, thanks for sharing.

Here's another quick video from them: Drum Video

Very cool creation, but that 'machinery' scares the heck outta me. I noticed the guy backing out of shrapnel range when he was 'turning' the base! :eek:

- Marty -

Hey Frank and Marty, both guys owe me at least an hour of my time back...happens nearly every time someone posts a YouTube link. That place is like crack. :D

I am waiting for this one. It will be here in a couple of months and will turn up to 8 foot diameter. Going to make a hot tub. The last I´ve heard it is going to be crated and going to Houston.

Monster is right. I'm not one to use cuss words. But the only adjectives that come to mind looking at that are completely bleepable here. :bonkers:
Wow! doesn't come close.
Looking forward to first results.