Baltic Birch Plywood

Rob Keeble

Finally after lots of searching i found a supplier of Baltic Birch plywood. Good stuff too not made in China, Russian. Da Comrade.

I dont know how many of you can take advantage of this place but the prices were excellent and they stock loads of other flatsheet goods.

http://www.wanderosa.com/

In the past i have been well extorted by the big orange borg. But alas no more am i contributing to the CEO's retirement fund.:rofl:

Example Home Depot 2X4 sheet BB 17.5mm (thats the closest they have to 3/4) = $28.50 per sheet. Thats 8sq ft for $3.56 per sheet before our HST tax.

Go to this place and i picked up 5x5 sheets which DH dont even sell

18mm for $1.352 per sq ft. or $33.80 per sheet.

Then got 12mm and 15mm for .945/sq ft and 1.209 per sq ft respectively.

Also for the first time found a ply which is select sanded one side spruce 4x8 1.088 per sqft.

So i am a happy smiling camper.:thumb::thumb: This place is in Bolton Ontario about 45 minutes from me but it was worth the drive for me.

Not sure how many here can take advantage of this or if its good pricing by comparison to what you pay in the USA.

Sounds like a good deal Rob....hard to find that kind of ply....especially at that price.

My only problem is that I ran the store locator through map quest......and the final result is

Total Travel Estimate: 20 hours 54 minutes / 1266.47 miles :rofl::rofl:

This is the big problem with living down here.....very few good lumber stores down here

I've read about baltic birch plywood, but I guess I'm missing something. What exactly is the difference between it and chinese birch plywood that I see in home stores or the domestic poplar core birch I get from a local cabinet supply shop? I know there are different grades, but that aside does it finish different or is it solid birch or something?

Jeb its day and night. The real big thing is the number of layers. Baltic birch plywood is made up of thinner and many more plies. Results in very dense plywood that has much better flatness accuracy and holds it shape a lot better. As an example there are something like 13 plies in a 3/4 thick piece of Baltic Birch. Now compare that to normal 3/4 plywood. Its probably double.

Oops Rob beat me to the description, but here's a comparison:

Regular plywood (Not birch, but same as the borg plywood layers):
attachment.php

Baltic Birch:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 800px-plywood.jpg
    800px-plywood.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 92
  • BALTIC BIRCH.jpg
    BALTIC BIRCH.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 92
Interesting. The import B2 from china at the local cabinet supply is 13 layer, runs around $35/sheet for 3/4". Thin veneer, but decent quality sold for case building. It's iffy on the B grade though.

The domestic poplar core 9 layer 3/4" with thick veneer, also B? run more like $55/sheet. It's looks better than the import and there's plenty of thickness to sand the veneer if needed though.