Nice grain bad wood

Dan Mosley

Well spent the day turning a bit and sorting out some wood that another turner had sold me cheaply. Thought I hit a large load of great turning wood but some of it was not worth the effort. Then again, some of it was...............So I thought I would post a bunch of pictures of the days screwing around to show everyone............nothing special.......;)

Picture 1-2 - Calif buckeye - turned the tenon 3 times and becasue of the rotten parts to it I could not keep a strong tenon to turn. So, off to the scrap pile and I hate that because its great wood when finished.

Picture 3 - a root ball that I was anxious to turn and the tenon held really well. Its a very strong dryed pc of wood - not sure what kind - as i began to turn it a large chunk came right out the middle making it useless to use.

Picture 4 and 9 - One that was turned and looked white and bland so I dyed it and started the finish - Olive wood - very nice and very easy to cut.

Picture 5 - Myrtle wood - has alot of grey streaks in the wood and still very green and cut easy enough - left it on the lathe and got called away on return it cracked in a couple spots. I repaired the very thin cracks with epoxy so im hoping it will clean up nice - very different grain pattern

Picture 6 -7 - Olive wood turnings - sitting and waiting for the oil to dry

Picture 8 - group shot of the 3

Picture 10 - A pc of some type of burl that held and was turned - leaving some of the burl intentionally for a ruff/ancient type of look - nicer in real life the photo does not do the wood justice - very nice wood grain and swirls in it all over - inclusions and stalagtite type wood points sticking out.....wish I had more of it............

Attachments

• Burl-1.jpg
    Burl-1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Burl-2.jpg
    Burl-2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Root-Ball-1.jpg
    Root-Ball-1.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Dyed-1.jpg
    Dyed-1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Myrtle-1.jpg
    Myrtle-1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Olive-small.jpg
    Olive-small.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Olive-1.jpg
    Olive-1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Group.jpg
    Group.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Dyed-2.jpg
    Dyed-2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Burl-3.jpg
    Burl-3.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 54
Dan, you do more HF's in a week than I can do in a year:eek: So what's the secret...sell 'em...give 'em away?? And you have more wood than a woodchuck!! (I love that commercial). You do some fine work sir...hope to learn a thing or two from ya ;);):thumb:

Chuck and Jim ------- Thanks

Jim - come on by ill give you some of the wood...........Heck, I just sent a flat rate box full of small blocks off to HI......I Do not do small items so the smaller stuff is of no interest to me.............Well, to answer your question - I give some away to people I work with and friends. Even the mailman has a couple of them. People see me out in the drive way turning on my days off and stop to see what im doing.....The mailman was amazed at what I was doing and said his wife would love some of the bowls because of the grain pattern. So, I gave him a couple to take home.

I have given some away to people where I work. I traded 2 nice small bowls for a overtime shift at work...........:)

Recently, I stopped giving them away so easily and started to try selling them. I guess I started to realize that the finishing materials etc...are costing me so I need to start recapturing some of my expenses.....

I sold a salad bowl and 6 little bowls to a lady that kept comming by on Sunday and yapping at me about Jehovah's Witnesses - I sold her the set for $65.00 and a promise that she could come by anytime but she could not talk to me about her religion anymore.........she smiled and paid me. I used to see her frequently because I gave her peaches from my tree and she would come by with cookies.....LOL

I got lucky a few months back and I had one of the doctor's at work ask me to bring them all in because she wanted to see them.
"All of them"?,.................to make along story short I bagged alot of them and she bought them all excpet 3 and wrote me a check for almost
1k............I about fainted....

Since then, I have not tried to sell anything but I keep going and stock piling them up.....My wife thinks there everywhere and wants to know when some are going.........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.............I need to make tops (finials) for them because they seem to get more attraction with them then they do without............

Anyway, thanks for the compliments and ask anything you want....

Last edited:
Dan don't be to cheap on your turning. I sold a 7 piece cherry salad bowl set for $400. That is the cheapest set I have sold. My wife told me the same thing. Start selling my turnings or she would give them away.:eek: They just don't understand.:D

Bernie your right on both accounts..........I did sell them to cheap but I haven't established a good way to sell them yet......and yep - mine has threaten to give some away if I do not find a place to put them out of the way.
Truthfully, I do have them sitting out everywhere.......LOL but then again I like it - like that...........;)

Last edited:
I have most of mine at the Art Gallery and they are for sale. I also consign some in craft stores and sell to the public thru word of mouth. I really got started by donating to charity auctions, church auctions and raffles, etc. and the word got out who made them. It just went from there.

Hey Dan.

Here's a little tip on what I do when I get a bit of rot or a hole where I need to fit a chuck.

I mix up enough epoxy to fill the area. After a day curing, I put a tenon. ant tirn the piece, then turn off the epoxy.

Hope it works for you, too.

Bruce