W.I.P. - Blanket box project!

Bryan Cowing

I have made this blanket box before, using a plan from NYW . I use my cabinet door set to make 4 panels, butt join them with biscuits. This time I wanted to use a lock mitre corner. I find out now I should have ran lots of scrap past the lock mitre cutter to make some strips for gluing the pieces together, those sharp 45's need a scrap block with the lock mitre cut in it to give the clamp something square to push against.:eek: A few pics of my progress so far.
IMG_3420.JPGnew lock mitre shaper cutter

IMG_3421.JPGlock mitre joint! - Nice:thumb:

IMG_3422.JPGtest fit:thumb::thumb:

IMG_3426.JPG I had to use some extra wood to keep my end panel flat. Seems my cabinet door cutter set is not 100% matched and the joint tilts under clamp pressure.

IMG_3429.JPG progress so far.

Looks great so far!

I've got one of those lock miter bits for my router. I really need to get it setup and use it one of these days. Looks like you nailed setting it up :thumb:

those lock mitres are sweet bryan,, i have used them for some time and once you get the set make a template block for quicker set up next time..they are very good at straightening out a slight curve in a stile as well..

Thanks so much for taking the time to post your projects. I really enjoy watching you go through the various steps. I've got your threads to go back to when I finally make someone (who's been asking for awhile) a blanket chest. Great progress so far. I think between you and Larry I may have to try a lock-miter cutter of some kind.

as usual, your work is crisp and and I know that finish is going to look rich and beautiful.
Can you please show me how you are joining the side panels to the front panels?
With lock mitre on the corners of the panels, it's just add glue and clamp.It's like tongue and groove, very easy to assemble. Progress so far to-day.
IMG_3433.JPG
because the stile is cut full length of the leg, I cut it back.
IMG_3435.JPG
Touch up with the spindle sander
IMG_3436.JPG
During assembly, all the leg pieces were a different length. :( Looks like I forgot to trim all leg pieces to 22 &1/4 before assembling as panels. They are roughly 1" oversize. I may leave them 3/4" long for a taller look. This is what happens when you leave a project till the weekends, something gets forgotten.:huh:

how are yu holding that up on the slider bryan? looks like it has only 2/3 surface supported on the slider shelf? looking very nice so far..also how are yu gonna connect the bottom in you chest i dont see any bottom in it yet???

how are yu holding that up on the slider bryan? looks like it has only 2/3 surface supported on the slider shelf? looking very nice so far..also how are yu gonna connect the bottom in you chest i dont see any bottom in it yet???
You put a plywood bottom in it, to fasten the 5/16" thick cedar closet lining. A ledge will be glued in to support the ply.
The saw came with the optional 12 x 15 support. You can also move it anywhere along the slider. :D
IMG_4017.JPG

Breadboard ends on the lid

Sunday I got some time in to cut up a 12 foot walnut plank to make the 44 &1/2" long lid. After work Monday, I cut the tongue & groove using a 1/4" wide x 9/16 deep rabbeting router bit. The new to me Jessem router table with lift makes it so easy.:thumb: I really like the built in dial indicator. Some hand saw work to trim back the tongue, then trim a 1/16 off on the TS to give some clearance and then some hand plane work to adjust the fit. I glued only 1/3 rd in the middle as the NYW book didn't really specify how much or little to glue it. :dunno:
IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG