My Saturday

Recap for Larry
Larry headed home and I headed to the Va farm. Mid day the deer started running. I spotted a doe way off through the woods and then I see horns! Ya my heart started pumping as I got turned around she ran him right up to me with 25 years and I I had the sight on him but let him walk. Nice big tall white times 11'-12" 8 point about 18 spread. He was only a 2.5 year old and at the last second thought he will get bigger for next year.
The after noon took a twist on me. I had 2 large groups of turkeys come in, the boss hens were heckling each other and trying to keep there flocks apart. At one point I had just about all them with 20 yards of me and taking pictures of them was no easy feat. Way to many eyes would look up with each click of the camera. I ended up counting 31 in one group and 18-19 in the other. They hung around for about 45 minutes. Then the evening movement was on. The doe's started coming out of the thicket and at one point I saw a slight white color move way back about 70 yards through the thicket and put my binoculars on it and I saw a squirrel and thought nothing of it. About 20 minutes later I made some kind of quick move when nothing was around and from a little closer back in the thickets HE BOLTED. THE ONE ! I have been after for years. I finally saw him. Wide with allot of points not very tall but massive and big body that would go 300+ on the hoof. Thinking of heading back down in the Morning so I will get a days worth of work done today.
He's on the move. From what I'm told the farmer next farm over has removed 60 doe's on crop damage, so it looks like he has lost some of his doe's and now has to commit to being a little stupid.

that will teach yu to not look around the whole area before yu move dave:) glad yu saw him again just the same..hoping yu get another chance at him before its over down there to take him..:D:thumb::thumb:

Larry I moved back into the woods about 600 yards from where I sit just over the dam. Looks like a early morning hunt and mid afternoon hunt with the evening hunt after dark.
So have you fired up Bambi on the grill yet.

I'm done sealing the dressers , now to head home get some sleep and a early drive.
Later.

BTW Shelly and I thank you for the thoughtful note and gift. :thumb: Boy, she sure warmed up to you. I think our wife's need to stay far apart :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well we did but they are being thinned out. :D:D

Actually the lower farm and that area is full of them. Hardly no body hunts them around here. My buddy shot 3 in a row Saturday morning. Said he seen a bunch of them. Ran out of ammo.

I'm done sealing the dressers , now to head home get some sleep and a early drive.
Later.

BTW Shelly and I thank you for the thoughtful note and gift. :thumb: Boy, she sure warmed up to you. I think our wife's need to stay far apart :rofl::rofl::rofl:

yur welcome dave,, and i am not to sure on the keeping them apart maybe i could get some more slack seeing as how shelly has had it worse ,,she could tell them that its not as bad as they thought:)

Maybe so Larry. We have gone through the ringer and back more then once and survived. Many a divorce have been caused by much less then what we have been through.
3 AM can and I did not feel good about the trip this morning so plan is tomorrow if the rain holds off.

Steve I wish I were closer I have never hunted them buggers and would like to have a go at them.

If you can stand to have them that close, works well.

It is like anything else. Wide open spaces require long range equip. Tight, grown up areas require short range equip. You can call one right into your lap, if you are not careful. Like anything, the wind plays a factor.

yu worry to much steve they wont be hunting humans but they are defiantly aware of the wind..they do take there share of deer and turkeys though in a group hunt..

not worry Larry, fact. Hunted with my cousin one evening. he called one in so close it kicked dirt on us when it turned. It is a great thing to do, challenges all your hunting skills, wind, scent, setup

both but most electric. Been wanting a foxpro caller for ever. Just never got around to getting one. Also had some luck using a distraction. Takes the attention away from the shooter.

Steve I was a sharp shooter in the army so long range is no problem. My 22 mag will drop them at 200 yards. Or if need be I have a Tikka 3 270 that will do the trick. But there is something about 00 buck with a choke that will put 9-10 shots in them at 50 yards.

If you can stand to have them that close, works well.

It is like anything else. Wide open spaces require long range equip. Tight, grown up areas require short range equip. You can call one right into your lap, if you are not careful. Like anything, the wind plays a factor.

I've gone out with an electronic call around here. Put on a hurt rabbit call and I got responses from the coyotes (and all the dogs in the valley) for 360degrees.

Took these pictures out my living room window last week...

Haven't hunted them yet, but been thinking about it...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• coyote_01_800.jpg
    coyote_01_800.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 34
  • coyote_02_800.jpg
    coyote_02_800.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 34