Shop gloat

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
Found this little guy looking for a new home this week on craigs list. Looks like we've got heat for the shop now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Had a couple of bricks break on the ride home, but already located some replacements. Just need to pickup some flue pipe and get it installed.

Attachments

• IMG_20101114_205058.jpg
    IMG_20101114_205058.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20101114_205204.jpg
    IMG_20101114_205204.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 95
Thanks all!

Close to the model I have. Be prepared for massive amounts of heat. Took me a while to learn to operate the damper. Once you get it figured out, oh boy.

My dad had a similar one in his shop years ago. He had a ceiling fan hung above it to help circulate the heat off of it. It was a 22 X 40 shop and that thing could cook you out of it if it wasn't kept under control.

What is that a wood burner ?
Yup, a wood "circulator" is what I think they are called.

Whoo-hho. It'll be a hot time, in the old shop, tonight.
Oh I've got a week or two before it gets fired up. need to fix the bricks, install some metal on the ceiling and side wall(s), then the flue/chimney.

Yeah, I plan to put a separate finish room in one area of the shop with an alternative heating source and good ventilation. That or just build all winter and finish stuff in the summer. ;)

in the finish room get a electric oil filled heater darren save and works well.. as for the stock piling of projects to finish in the spring or summer ,,,that doesnt sound like a good idea to me to easy to get damaged and the room factor will enter in as well

Congratulations...hope you have many happy winter hours in the shop.

Probably the only piece of equipment I've encouraged Brent to get (besides the lathe) was to get some heat in our garage so he could do more winter woodworking. Hasn't took me up on it yet :dunno::dunno:

Hmmmm, a cozy and warm workshop in winter, snow falling outside, the humming of the bandsaw, the smell of wood freshly cut, being one with the wood, your hand tools feeling like extensions of your arms, your brain fully focused...
Nothing else but you your tools and the wood...