small box

Drew Watson

I turned the base to this a week ago and had been trying to think up a top for it. Came up with this idea. It sort of reminds me of a honey pot lid. Just threw the buffer wheel on it. Dogwood base and cherry lid. It is the first time I have tried CA glue to hold the cracks together. I think it turned out ok, well at least it didn't blow up in my face. :D

Attachments

• Small box 004.JPG
    Small box 004.JPG
    88.3 KB · Views: 57
Looks good Drew!
You say "small" but how big is it?
Are the two woods of the same species?ine up the grain as best you can and take another picture, as the clash of the grain takes away the nice shape of the form.
How are you finding you reground tools?
Cheers

No totally different woods Stu. I was seeing how the woods would look together. The box was an experiment in the dog wood with the ca glue as it had one big crack in it ( I will take some more pics but just found that I left the camera hooked up last night and it drained the battery) I filled it with CA Glue so that I could turn it. It is not pretty but it held it together. I hollowed it out pretty thin 1/8 thick sides. I was also trying out some new tools that I had re-ground to get something to undercut the rim. The cherry lid is done in two parts Glued up the seam it right at the base of the knob on the top so none of the grains actually line up. I was more interested in the shape as i was going to originally do the lid out of Purple heart but changed it at the last minute.

The tools are sharpe Stu Thanks again that Jig is fantastic. I actually have the tools with the shapes they are suppose to have on them. :D Oh and i scored some extra tools yesterday from an add on Craigs list 15 tools 6 pen turning tools and 5 HSS tools ( benjamins best) and a few home made scarpers out of planer blades ( from big industrial planers) and some cheap callipers. 100 bucks. The Gouge tools will get different grinds on them and I will re shape some of the tools for specific jobs. I re cut one of my old 1/4 inch parting tools ( henery taylor) to make a bedden style tool. That is one tool I want to get a bigget one of.
Yes I will take some pics to show as soon as the batteries charge up.

Thanks Bernie, That was what I was more focusing on trying to get that shape out of my head and onto the wood. I will say that I do like the look of the cherry grain and now have to get a block big enough to do a full box out of cherry with matching lid.

Nice one Drew. I'm not crazy about those two woods together but that is just personal preference. I love the shape you gave it. I have used CA in cracks often and it holds good. I use thin for real small cracks for thin and medium for larger ones. Not had a problem yet.

I'm wondering how some dye would look on that Dogwood Drew. The shape of the top isn't my favorite, but you kept a good curve going all around. Nice work on keeping those explosions to a minimum:thumb: