Cracked Bedrock

S

Steve Clardy

My recent trip down to my uncle's funeral, I slide by Terry's place and picked up 6 of my stanley's and a Keen Kutter he restored for me.
Did some horse trading with him on some stuff.

Anyways, I was going through them and taking stock of things, and noticed a crack in the side of one of my other nice Bedrock 606C roundside.:(

It's so faint, I almost didn't notice it.

Now what to do.:(

Guess I'll lay it back and weld it up when time permits

Pocket Cutters Jesse.

I can't really market them here.

Yeah, welding. Use a good heat sink. Grind a V, lay up several beads, a little grinding between.

You can also braze.

Most repairs are difficult to keep the sole from twisting, so ya got all my luck--but for two days only and then I need it back <g>...

Mike

Yeah, welding. Use a good heat sink. Grind a V, lay up several beads, a little grinding between.

You can also braze.

Most repairs are difficult to keep the sole from twisting, so ya got all my luck--but for two days only and then I need it back <g>...

Mike

Just two days:confused: :eek:
One day is already gone. :eek: :)

Well. At least the crack isn't anywhere near the throat:)

It's on the downward slope on the top of the rail, between the back of the frog and tote.
Easily repairable there.
But all this shiny new black coating is going to get smoked doing it:(

I fixed a flatside bedrock a few months back. Ground a V on the inside of the crack, not quite through the side. Brazed the crack, smoothed the brass up, recoated the whole base.
Crack was still visible from the outside, about hairline size.