Wood storage carts

Jeff Horton

I currently store my wood in/on some old grocery shelving. It works pretty well. not a lot of wasted space on the shelves and it handles the load no problem! (think shelves of can goods). The draw back is space, it really takes up a lot of floor space.

lumber1.jpg lumber2.jpg

I store lumber on one side and sheet goods on the other. It works pretty well. I probably need to thin out the sheet goods, but at least I can find what I have. I have been looking at wood racks, rolling carts, over head storage, etc and just haven't really seen anything great yet.

I was thinking of wall storage, sheet goods on the bottom with lumber over head. But that has drawbacks. Just looking for some creative ideas. Surely someone has some great idea that doesn't waste floor space and puts the lumber right at the saw. :thumb:

Just looking for some creative ideas. Surely someone has some great idea that doesn't waste floor space and puts the lumber right at the saw. :thumb:

Jeff there was a picture in a woodworking magazine a while back, where a guy made a foldaway sheet good storage bin. It hinged on the wall of the shop and folded against the wall when not in use...but had a wheel at the opposite end of the hinge that allowed it to roll out as needed.

I can look for the issue if you are interested.

Surely someone has some great idea that doesn't waste floor space and puts the lumber right at the saw. :thumb:

Jeff,

If someone can come up with that they will be considered a genius in my book. I am going to try the solid wood storage on the wall above the sheet goods like you were talking about but I see your point. You have to climb a ladder to get to the racks and move sheets of plywood to get to the sheet that you want. I have my rack up and might add the roll out sheet goods rack like Steve is talking about. At least that might solve one of the drawbacks.

Steve,

I would be interested in the roll out rack that you are talking about.

Thanks!

Allen

I had this one against the wall and found everything stacked in front of it. Never could get to the wood without fear of tripping. Or having to move some stuff. Moving it out took up more space but it I can get the wood and sort it.

I was thinking about a rolling sheet good bin. What Steve mentioned might work? :dunno: I think there is not good way to store wood without taking up a lot of space. Since I have to drive an hour to any good supplier I tend to buy more than I really need so I have a plenty.

My rack is behind the Unisaw and DeWalt so it comes straight out of the rack to the saw, or on some sawhorses. Can't get much closer to the saw but I can wish. :) Location is great. Just ties up a lot of space.

Jeff

I looked for the magazine but I couldn't find it, so I put together a very rough drawing to give an idea. Sorry if it isn't too clear.

The "box" is made to hold sheet goods on edge, size depends on your needs. Underneath is a swivel caster wheel to allow the box of sheet goods to swivel back against the wall of your choice. While it is in the out position it makes it closer to your table saw if you are lucky.

The back of the box is made up with pipe. Two pipe flanges are lagged to a wall stud, the pipe arrangement is curved at bottom and top and straight in the middle to allow for two hinges... lagged to the backside of the moveable box.

I wish I could find the article that tells how the pipe flanges, pipe and hinges all were made, but I'm sure there are creative minds that can figure that out.

If I do find the article I will post it here.

Attachments

• 100_3219.jpg
    100_3219.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_3220.jpg
    100_3220.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 33
I had some old bed rails that I had accumulated and welded them together. First I cut one in half and used that for a base with wheels welded on the bottom. To that I welded uprights about a foot apart with a rail cut in half welded that to the top which a left brace that I could lay boards on top and bottom. I made 2 more the same size and welded every thing together 4 rails at the top and bottom. On the sides I welded some angles for more shelving for more boards. Laid a peace of plywood in the center for plywood sheets to sit on. Sure wish I had a camera to take a picture of it. That would make life a lot simpler.

DK

Jeff I have tried several different things for my sheet goods because I use a large quantity at a time for kitchen cabinets.

I tried to make a rolling sheet good storage rack as shown here:

Shop Fixtures 005.jpg

Shop Fixtures 006.jpg

It's to hard to roll around with 10 to 20 sheet of melamine and plywood. But it is good for cut off sheet goods, half sheets etc. I might modify it to be part double deck.

I made this little cart with wheels for misc. pieces

Shop Fixtures 003.jpg

It works pretty good and is mobile.

I had a heavy duty horizontal metal rack for sheet goods but took it out because it was too hard to use.
I finally built a vertical storage rack. It takes up less space and is easy to use. I put it in close proximity to my slider. Actually I got the idea from Shaz, it's similar to his. I haven't taken any pics yet so don't have any to post on that rack.

For hard wood I have the Lee Valley set up which is really good. I have it close to the floor. But am thinking about moving it higher up so I have some more low wall space. if it get to high a may just take a section and put it in another place in the shop.

Shop Tour 020.jpg

Doug

Jeff there was a picture in a woodworking magazine a while back, where a guy made a foldaway sheet good storage bin. It hinged on the wall of the shop and folded against the wall when not in use...but had a wheel at the opposite end of the hinge that allowed it to roll out as needed.

I can look for the issue if you are interested.

Here's the article you refer to (I think!):

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011160084.pdf

Access to file requires a subscription to Fine Woodworking's website. If you don't have one, email me and I can send the file to you.

Great topic. I need one of those carts for my small pieces of wood, too.

I was thinking I should just buy all my wood in 3 to 4 inch long pieces to save myself the time of cutting them up. I could get rid of my large lumber rack and all my cutting tools. Then I'd have a lot more room for little bits of wood. :D :rofl:

Jeff, Thanks for the info.:thumb:

While it isn't the exact same article I saw, the theory is the same. The only difference was that the sheet goods were turned 1/4 turn from what they are in Jeff's article/post.