Ever Seen Fawlty Towers

I still watch the British comedies... my favorites are on PBS locally... "Waiting for God", "Keeping up Appearances" and "Last of the Summer wine"... They use good language and facial expressions much more effectively than some of the potty language that passes for comedy now... Never was much of a Benny Hill fan... he used more camera tricks than actual comedy... Another one that has just come back to PBS is "Are you being served?"... great comedy... there were others that used to be on... "Black Adder", one that was set in a space format.. can't remember that title... and the "Carry on... " series of movies were hilarious.

When I was in the navy one of the guys on Guam had several of Cosby's comedy records... they were staple fare for evening intertainment. I saw him live at the Circle Star in Santa Clara or San Jose... one of the peninsula towns south of SF... I left with the worst stitch in my side from laughing...

Yep. lots of the old stuff was so much better than the new. Bill Cosby is/ was hilarious and I don't think he ever used a cuss word.

I went to see Bill live many years ago. I was sore the next day I laughed so hard. There was a lot of construction going on around the Civic Center so he came on stage on time, but he just sat there and chatted giving people time to come in.

He picked on a lot of the people coming in late walking near to the stage. A&M which was originally an all Black college has something to do with the event and a lot of the students were coming in Ball Gowns and Tucks. I remember him sitting on stage making faces at them and looking at the crowd with a funny look. Making remarks "Must be going out after the show" Had everone laughing just ad-libbing and picking on the students who had the good seats near the stage.

But during his act he actually said "damn". An absolute silence fell over the place for a moment. Everyone was just shocked, then he just looked at us with a sly grin and the place just roared!! That's the only time I ever heard him say anything like that. The way he did it was a riot too.

Last edited: