Another Vase or HF

Here is a third one that is poplar that I did a little different shape on it. I also textured around the center of it with a burned line on both sides of the texture. I did the texture to give some life to the plain wood. It has a walnut collar and foot to kinda of offset the wood. This is 10 1/2" wide and 3 1/2" tall. It has one coat of Antique oil on it and will get a few more coats.

Attachments

• Poplar Vase 1.jpg
    Poplar Vase 1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Poplar Vase 2.jpg
    Poplar Vase 2.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Poplar Vase 3.jpg
    Poplar Vase 3.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 20
That one has a lot going on! Good looking texture accent. I want to start doing collars and have had some different takes...how do you do them?

Thanks Jim and Vaughn.

Jim I take a piece of wood and make it larger than the hole. I cut a small tenon on it. I leave the area around the hole slightly thicker for more surface area to glue. I slip the tenon in with glue on both surfaces and it needs to be a tight fit. Then cut the hole in the block glued in after it has dried, finish cutting it to shape, sand and finish.

Vaughn I used the mini sorby micro spiral system. You can cut spirals or texture with it. Had to buy the cheapy as couldn't justify $200 for the big one. This is the one I got and got the texture cutter wheel also.

http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Mer...Code=108801&Category_Code=tools-srby-micromod

Bernie, that is a cool piece. I have done some texturing with a tool that I made like the one on Around the Woods web site. It works pretty well but I am thinking of getting one of the texturing tools too.