Ideas?

Mason Kuettel

I have been asked to make a pen for a lady who is retiring from the US Navy. Any suggestions as to how I could make a unique pen, but stick to a small style of pen (what she prefers)?

I have a few ideas in my head, just figured I would throw it out and see if some of you who seem to be a little more creative than me can supply me with any amazing ideas! :D

Thanks!

I'm not sure what might appeal to a Navy-type person. I know knots are something sailors seem to be familiar with. I don't know if something like a Celtic knot would be appropriate, but it'd be somewhat unique.

Celtic Knot Pen - 02 800.jpg Celtic Knot Pen - 01 800.jpg

They're not that hard to do, and can work on anything from a Slimline pen to a pepper mill.

Laser engraving has proven to be a winner for me.
Turn, but don't assemble, the pen and take to a laser engraver.
Put something like her name and rank on the pen and some kind of naval insignia. She will love it.
BTW, I always bring a throw away turned barrel for the engraver to practice on. They really appreciate that. And, it is a bit of a guarantee for me the real job won't be screwed up.

Mason, I will add to what Frank has mentioned. A family member here, Pete Simmons owns and operates LaserImageArts.com and has done BEAUTIFUL work for me. Actually, if you tell him what pen style you are turning, he can tell you if he can do it whole. I have sent him pens, finish applied, pen together, he has engraved them and sent them on to my customers. If he thinks the finish needs "touched up" he will send it back. Great turn around time and fantastic work! Either variation, the celtic knot or engraving. One problem I encounter, to nice of a pen and they won't use it. I want my pens used and worn out not put on a shelf. So possibly two pens if you get it engraved, it isn't that much with Pete, one for her to display and one for her to carry. Ask Pete about his display box and he can put a quote, her picture, what ever you want.

Ditto what Jonathan said. I had two pens that I had laser engraved for a retiring army BIL and a retiring Navy friend of mine. Like Jonathan said I ended up making two for each because they wanted one to go in there display case. Make sure they are presented in nice pen boxes.

To add to the others, maybe an appropriate color combination, blue and gold (yellow) dye, with years of service, rate, and ship designator engraved would be cool. You could also get a little model (wood if possible) of the ship, or any for that matter, and drill a hole in it and use it for a stand. Or a flat mount with an engraved brass plate and the pen holder....this is getting involved!!!!

Thanks for the ideas...I had thought about the engraving as I have a good contact locally that does my etching at a fraction of the cost it would cost otherwise. My other thought I had today was to get put wood and acrylic of some color (gold/navy) together in the "chevron" design but I'm not quite sure how that would work as I haven't ventured too deep into the segmented pens yet, only a couple of simple ones.

Keep the ideas coming, I like them all and I may just use some of them before its all said and done! The good thing for me is she isn't retiring until the spring so I have some play, I mean work, time.

Being X navy i would make a Blue pen and have the Name, rank and maybe an anchor on it. the Anchor is the symbol for the Navy. Here is an example

attachment.php

If she was enlisted then it should be in silver if an officer in gold.

Attachments

• anchor.jpg
    anchor.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 151
Pete's gonna have my hide, but I totally forgot about the laser engraving idea. That'd be better (and could be made more Navy-specific) than the Celtic knot suggestion. :thumb:

UPDATE

Just realized that I never updated this thread with the results of our brainstorming. I picked up a crushed navy acrylic blank and a ti-gold european kit and had some etching done.

The recipient was happy, so I guess it was good enough!

I had a hard time getting a good pic, but this will just have to do.

Attachments

• DSC_0128-1.JPG
    DSC_0128-1.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 23