Glue question?

larry merlau

ok this is a actual experience i had and was wondering if i am alone in this observation or if i had faulty glue..

i had a test piece glued up using tite bond 2 or 3 the brown looking stuff in a green bottle, exterior application glue..anyway i took and glued up some scrap edge to edge and flat to flat and then tried to separate it after a couple hours it took a littel effort but came apart and didnt take much if any surface wood with it??? basically just the glue separated in itself..so after the 24 hrs i tried it agin on another piece and it held better but still parted..that would never happen for me with tite bond 1.. but the longer open time was needed to maintain my sanity and i got hat but am curious and doubtful on the strength factor of the other type of tite bond .. so has anyone had similar trouble or am i just having bad glue times???

if it was Brown ?? it wasn't tight bond II so musta been tight bond III. I is yellow II is a little orange and III tends to be on the brown side. I have used all 3 along with Elmers pro and my experience has been that the wood will fail before the glue so ya probubly had old glue or the surface was contaminated before you glued it.

Larry i have used that Titebond Glue if the bottle top is green its is titebond 3 and have had no issues with it.

What you might want to do is just look through this pdf attached it covers all the specs for the glue and make sure you were within the parameters of the glue. Something might just pop out at you. Like what was the temp when you did the glue?

See attached
View attachment UltimateIIITB.pdf

I wonder if it is old glue as I think it only has a 1 year self life, including on how long it sat on the store shelf before your shelf. I have tried the breakage test on TB I & II with the wood giving before the glued joint, but have not tried on TB III.

I used to be tempted to buy glue in the gallon jugs, but figured out I didn't go through it fast enough to make it worth while...

well i will get rid iof it then cause it could easily be ayear old now the tie bond 1 i have added water to before and it came back fine.. but this stuff just didnt feel right..

Glad you did this test. I personally try not to keep any glue around that is a year old or that has been close to freezing. The freezing part is a little difficult for me as I only heat my shop when I am in it. It is insulated (foam) so I usually only have to worry about Jan and Feb months.

I use it all the time and never had a problem. I glue parts on the kayaks with it sometimes because of the water and if it fails it would/could be bad. But never had a joint fail.

I didn't know about the shelf life but I use a lot of it so I probably never had one a year. Will start watching that though.

this was surfaced right i had sanded it to 120 and then applied glue to both matting surfaces, long grain to long grain and and edge to edge and the flat held the best but the edge at 2 hrs gave way the first round with just hand pressure no hammer.. the flat took more effort. the second round of testing took a hammer on the flat and the edge was tougher but i had some leverage.

Ok since no one seems to have read my post of the PDF of this products specs i thought copy and paste would do better. I love this glue so i am defending it to its death.:rofl:

Its all there in lovely purple highlighted for all to see. :D

Important Notice:
Our recommendations, if any, for the use of this product are based on tests believed to be reliable. Since the use of this product is beyond the control of
the manufacturer, no guarantee or warranty, expressed or implied, is made as to such use or effects incidental to such use, handling or possession or the results to be
obtained, whether in accordance with the directions or claimed so to be. The manufacturer expressly disclaims responsibility therefore. Furthermore, nothing contained
herein shall be construed as a recommendation to use any product in conflict with existing laws and/or patents covering any material or use.

2020 Bruck Street, Columbus, Ohio 43207
CUSTOMER SERVICE 1-800-669-4583
TECH SERVICE 1-800-347-GLUE
www.titebond.com
Application
Guidelines
Physical
Properties
(Typical)​
Application temperature
Above 47°F.

Open assembly time
10 minutes (70°F./50%RH)

Total assembly time
20-25 minutes (70°F./50%RH)

Minimum required spread
Approximately 6 mils or 250 square feet per gallon

Required clamping pressure
Enough to bring joints tightly together (generally, 100-150 psi for
softwoods, 125-175 psi for medium woods and 175-250 psi for hardwoods)

Methods of application
Plastic bottles for fine applications; glue may also be spread with a roller
spreader or brush.

Cleanup
Damp cloth while glue is wet. Scrape off and sand dried excess.

Type
Advanced Proprietary Polymer

State
Liquid

Color
Tan

Dried film
Light Brown

Solids
52%

Viscosity
4,200 cps

pH

Calculated VOC
: 5.6 g/L

Weight/gallon
9.22 lbs.
Chalk temperature*
Approx. 47°F.

Flashpoint
>200°F.

Freeze/thaw stability
Stable

Storage life
12 months in tightly closed containers
at 75°F.

© 2007 Franklin International. All rights reserved. (Rev. 01/07)​
Titebond​
® III

Ultimate Wood Glue​
Units per Packages
Cat. No. Size Package Weight per Pallet​
1411 1.25 oz. Bottle 50 6 160
1412 4 oz. Bottle 12 5 270
1413 8 oz. Bottle 12 8 160
1414 16 oz. Bottle 12 16 100
1415 Quart Bottle 6 16 88
1416 Gallon Jug 2 20 63
1417 5 Gallon Plastic Pail 1 52 24
1418 55 Gallon Drum 1 559 4​
Patent Pending​
Ordering
Information
Limitations​
Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue is not for continuous submersion or for use below the waterline.
Not for structural or load bearing applications. Do not use when temperature, glue and materials are
below 47°F. Store product below 75°F. Storage above this temperature may cause product to thicken
and reduce the usable shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard
surface until product is restored to original form. Because of variances in the surfaces of treated
lumber, it is a good idea to test for adhesion. Read MSDS before use. KEEP FROM FREEZING.

KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.​
Product
Features​
• Passes ANSI/HPVA Type I water-resistance
• Waterproof formula that cleans up with water
• Superior strength – strong initial tack
• Designed for interior and exterior applications
• Longer open assembly time
• Lower application temperature
• Unaffected by finishes
• FDA approved for indirect food contact​
*Chalk temperature indicates the lowest recommended temperature at which the glue, air and materials
can be during application, to assure a good bond.​
Bond
Strength
ASTM D-905​
(on hard maple)​
Temperature Strength psi % wood failure​
Room Temperature 4,000 57