Outfitting the shop, part 2

Chris Hatfield

Former Member (by the member's request)
(Don't look for a part 1) :doh:

It's been a fun year. And expensive. I've gone from having a set of four cordless tools and a storage shed to having a decent amount of real tools and a shop. Yes, a shop. It's official, since my wife commented on it the other day. :D

I'm ready to take my woodworking to the next level by acquiring some 'next level' tools. I promise not to be stubborn this time and listen, but I do have some limitations on space and money that I've alluded to earlier.

Chisels - I've got some cheap HF ones, but I was looking at a set of the Blue Marpels for every day use. Barring some super sale on LV or LN ones.

Planes - I'll probably save this for a separate thread, as I'm completely new to it.

Band saw - yes, again. I did manage to find room in the shop for a 12" or 14" model. It appears that the G0555 is the standard at the entry price point, but I'm interested to hear alternatives if I see some used.

Jointer - I probably best have room for a benchtop, but I *think* I could make room for a floor stander as well. My wallet might not, though. This would really help me build the tables I am looking to make.

OSS - I can get away with the drum sander on the drill press for a little bit, but one is calling my name to make some chairs with. Considering the Ridgid 4663

Dust collector - this is a tricky one. Right now I am using a '3HP' shop vac with a 5gal separator bucket and lid, when I could use it on just the one extension cord. I picked up a long extension cord to put it on it's own circuit, because it was drawing too much power for one along with a tool.

Without the band saw or the floor jointer, I definitely have the floor room for a DC like the Harbor Freight one. I say floor, because I'm not sure if it would fit vertically. With a filter? Probably. I see a multitude of alternatives here besides trying to shove it in there regardless:
  • Build a freestanding enclosure outside to store the DC, and pipe into the shop
  • Keep my current setup and be satisfied with only getting the big stuff
  • Go with a wall-mount DC

Aside from finding room for the Full Monty, I'm disinclined from building a new structure. I'd rather build a bigger shop, and that in itself would be a huge undertaking. The wall-mount DC definitely has some potential, even if it doesn't perform as well. I could mount it high on a wall and have room underneath for any number of things. I have heard that this isn't the recommended approach, and I'd like to hear why. I assume it's because of horsepower. If I went floor, I'd go with the HF one that's always on sale. Otherwise, I'd go with the green HF DC and mount it, or the Rockler or the EZ Mount at Peachtree.

I'll take all suggestions at this point.

Check out yard sales and auctions for tools. Great buys can be had to reasonable prices. Some really nice old tools are considered as junk now days.

On the wall mount DC. Can you mount it outside your shop? Hang it out here and run the hose in? Build a small roof with 3 sides to keep the weather off of it?

I understand money is short, it's short everywhere. Need to get yourself in position to jump on those good deals when they happen. It's hard I know. Sorry I can't help with the how, as I don't know your particulars.

Oh, that's what I'm in position for. I'm just looking for what to avoid should something come available.

For example, I *just* saw a Ridgid BS1402 on CL for $185 with the riser. I've inquired about it, but I'm worried about the wheel balance issues I've read about.

I could go get it today, but I don't know if I should.

As for the DC, I'm not sure if I do anything to the shed that I would be running afoul of the local building codes. I'm at the absolute limit for both not having a permit and being set back from the line. If they argue that the lean-to (for lack of a better term) for the DC is considered adding to the square footage, the entire thing might have to come down.

I don't have the ridgid, but I have heard some folks have tuned up the ridgid a made a good saw out of it. Nose around the ridgid tool forums before you totally rule it out.

In the process right now. It seems like with all Ridgid stuff, there are those who hate it and love it. This one, though, definitely tends to side toward the Dark Side of the Force. But those who have taken their time to work out the kinks love it.

If I can snag it I think I will. I've seen the same model go for more, so I could always resell if it's horrible. I'm hoping I get a call for it at least.

:type:

In the process right now. It seems like with all Ridgid stuff, there are those who hate it and love it. This one, though, definitely tends to side toward the Dark Side of the Force. But those who have taken their time to work out the kinks love it.

If I can snag it I think I will. I've seen the same model go for more, so I could always resell if it's horrible. I'm hoping I get a call for it at least.

:type:

look at the price of it compared to a new one.. yu dont want to pay more than its worth..look at craigs list,, like steve said there are deals out but yu need to look alot..and be picky dont hurry the sale..

Narex chisels get good reviews and usually win best value, they're out of the Czech Republic I think, but you can find them with an online search for sale at a lot of vendors. I have mostly footprint chisels which were a good value from some review when I bought them, but the edges are a little high for getting into tight spots. They hold an edge great. I think the marples are also good value tools. Being that you have a limited budget I wouldnt' even look at the LV/LN chisels. Save the handtool money for a good block and/or smoothing plane.

Jointer - if you have a planer you mgiht want to look at the various jointer sleds to do edges on the table saw and faces in a planer. Can save room and money. A straight edge on a table saw with a couple swipes of a hand plane glues up pretty good. Make sure before you spend the money on one to build tables that it's going to be long/wide enough to do what you want.

Sander - make sure you read the reviews on the ridgid if you get it. I've heard it works pretty good but if you try and use the wrong end of the belt to do inside curves it breaks, or used to. I think a lot of people are happy with it though.

I have a 1hp delta DC and I love it. The small ones like this don't do much for your health but they make it a lot mroe enjoyable to do woodworking because of ease of cleaning up. They're usually light enough you can set them outside when you're workign too, and move back in after you're done. Mine's about 35 lbs without any dust in it. It's way beter than my shop vac, the hp numbers on all shop vacs are about worthless compared to other tools.

In general you can save a lot on CL if your local area is anything like mine. Shoot for about 1/2 price on good condition power tools with some use.

Chris, I'll just address the chisels. Marples are pretty good. I still have the Ash handled set I bought new over 20 years ago. You can do some fine work with them, but they do get dull quickly. You'll need to learn to hone. I don't know about Narex, but as was said before, they have gotten good reviews. If you know what you're doing, old chisels can be a good value, but then there's the learning curve of how to rehab one. Is there someone near you who can show you how? It makes a huge difference to have someone show you what a really sharp edge is, and how to get to it. Another line of chisels that I think are a very good value is the Stanleys with yellow and black plastic handles, nunber 60 IIRC, these sell on eBay sometimes for fairly little - again there's the rehab issue. All told, I think buying a set of blue Marples makes sense, just remember they will not be ready out of the package, they will need honing. But so will a set of LNs.

Forget about a 12" bandsaw, you will be dissapointed.
Yes, the G0555 seems to be the standard. I have had mine more than seven years. It is used daily, my #1 'go to' machine. Never a problem.
If budget permits, do consider the 'X' version. And consider the riser for 12" thick cuts. But that can always come later.

Thanks for all the help so far. Unfortunately I don't know anyone local who can help me with sharpening, but I'm sure one of the many stores here will have a class on it that I will try to attend. I'll keep an eye out for the used chisels you have suggested.

I missed out on the Ridgid BS yesterday. I think the plan will be to set aside 25-50 a week and I'll order the Griz in a few months, and keep an eye out in the meantime.

There are some cheaper sanders out there like the Triton, but none tilt. I don't know if I need that feature, but I would hate to find out I do and not have it.

Well, here's a fine dilemma: the Black Friday week sale at Rockler.

They are going to have the Bosch jigsaw on sale with blades for $100. Which is what was recommended to me over the ones I have. Part of the reason I didn't want to do that was because of the price, but also because I'd rather be pushing stock into a stationary tool than the opposite. At least I think I do, it seems like it would be easier. I just now figured out I have a decent way of cutting with the jigsaw, which was very difficult to do last time.

So what to do? I think both ways have their benefits. Heck, I think finding a decent 10" or 12" (preferable) for $100 and holding on to it until I outgrow it and resell it for what I paid for it has benefits as well.

If one saw a Delta 28-203 BS on CL, what would one offer for it? 3/4HP, closed base, no riser, extra blades.

Seller has a price in mind, but I may be able to get it for less because they think it has a 1HP motor like the 28-206.

Thanks for all the help so far. Unfortunately I don't know anyone local who can help me with sharpening, but I'm sure one of the many stores here will have a class on it that I will try to attend. I'll keep an eye out for the used chisels you have suggested.

Have you googled to see what woodworker guilds are close by? One would be a good resource and I'm sure the members would be happy to demonstrate the process, which would save you some money over what a class would cost.

Chris, I wouldn't pay anything over $250 for a 3/4 hp 14" bandsaw in great shape with spare blades that weren't brand new. Any signs of wear/damage and I'd go down from there. Maybe a little more for new blades still packaged, I'd advise not putting value in anything opened. Well used but still good working condition something like $150-200.

Check the tires, guides, belts for wear and damage, and the casting for any cracks or obvious problems. Stay away from casting cracks, unflat tables, or anything like that. Use the normal wear/tear items for negotiating.

That's exactly the price I was thinking of. Has it listed for $300. Extra blades don't really make an impact on the price for me if I'm going to put a riser on.

Speaking if which, I'm having a hard time finding one to see how much it would be.

Chris, the HF dc is awesome for the money. Running at $189 on sale....and you can get a 20% off coupon off the net. I am running it with a 6" main down to 4" and then to adapters at the machine. I asked a lot of questions here a while ago and everyone had great things to say about it. So I bought it, at about $151 bucks. No issues and damn can that thing vacuum! Room for it was not an issue for me.

The only negative thing I can say concerns the noise level. It is a little loud....maybe about the same as a good shop-vac.

I also picked up the $2.99 blast gates as well. No issues with them either. I was going to make my own....but for $3.00...wasn't worth my time.

Good luck to you

The HF DC is certainly at the top of my list.

About this Delta - the more research I do, the more confusing it gets. Apparently the 28-203 was used in different combinations and a 203 with a closed stand was sold as a 28-280 and a 1 HP motor. How would one tell the difference between a 203 and a added closed stand, and a 280? How could I visibly tell the difference between a 3/4 and a full HP motor?

The HF DC is certainly at the top of my list.

About this Delta - the more research I do, the more confusing it gets. Apparently the 28-203 was used in different combinations and a 203 with a closed stand was sold as a 28-280 and a 1 HP motor. How would one tell the difference between a 203 and a added closed stand, and a 280? How could I visibly tell the difference between a 3/4 and a full HP motor?

Chris ..keep in mind the HF is a 2 HP.....just a heads up