Outfitting the shop, part 2

You can look on the motor. If the hp isn't listed the amperage should be. It should be about 10 amps I think for 1 hp. You might be able to find a spec on the internet with the exact amperage. Most likely the motor will list the hp on the name plate though.

Risers run 70-90 usually. I wouldn't jump right in and buy a riser, use the regular size one until you run across something that will require it. Especially if it comes with blades that already fit it.

I did see a spec that listed 9.6 for the 1hp, so that was pretty good guys.

Thanks for the help thus far. Guy is pretty sure it's a 1hp motor, but I'm not sure. I'll be checking it out tomorrow afternoon. Blades are used, and sound like they have some surface rust. Was used to cut a bunch of cedar for something. Price sounds firm.

Best price on the riser kit I found was 104, but you're right: I probably won't need it for awhile if the blades are salvageable.

So...300 for a 1hp saw on stock height? They've come off 500 and 400, and had an offer of 350 that they turned down a few weeks ago.

I'm taking with me a straightedge, a level, a engineer's square and a piece of hardwood with me. Anything else?

I went and took a look at it. Panel stated 11 amps at 115V. Cast iron table was almost completely covered in rust. So were all of the blades. Top tire was busted, so I couldn't test it properly.

So...I'm still looking. May post later a comparison of new saws and see which one you'd choose.

I think you're wise to pass on this one. Overpriced for a saw with borderline power and in need of maintenance like rust removal and tire replacement.

Rust on a table can be handled pretty easily with a bit of elbow grease. The top doesn't have to be flat to within real tight tolerances. (Not as critical on a bandsaw as it would be a tablesaw or router table.) Cracked or missing tires can be replaced. Rusty blades would go straight to the trash. IMO, using someone else's used bandsaw blades would be like using their used sandpaper anyway. Bandsaw blades wear out and are consumables like sandpaper, so you should expect to replace them for the life of the saw anyway.

I was proud of myself. I've been looking for several months.

I would have given $200 for it. But replacing the tire and a new blade would be pushing a brand new one of another flavor.

I think I will be getting the Harbor Freight 14" Grizzly clone. Under $300 with a warranty and 1HP. Just doing some last used looking before I commit.

Have you considered buying used equipment? More than 3/4 of my hand tools and all of my machinery were used when i got them. Also, have you considered a table saw? It's the center piece of most shops. Not necessary, but very useful.
Another great space saver in my shop is the combination jointer / planer. Mine's an Inca 10" model that i got used. It's a cadillac machine, swiss made, and no longer available here, but parts are available should i need them. It has a 10" jointer on the top side of the cutter head, and a 10" thickness planer on the bottom side of the cutter head. I use it a lot, and really appreciate it every time. Rikon made a similar machine, and Jet now has one (pricey though).
It all depends on what type of work you do, but i'd focus on a good work bench as well. You'll be able to build something with a thick top out of yellow pine, put whatever types of vises / clamping hardware on it you might want. Christopher Schwarz has written two excellent books on building your own workbench. It's a part of the shop often underemphasized.
Dust collection will be a trick as well. I get by with a 1hp unit (got it used) with a fine micron filter on top and large plastic bag on bottom. My shop space is a bit tight, so just hook it up to whatever i'm using at the time. Works great, though i wouldn't want anything smaller for thickness planing. Your shop vac / bucket combo won't begin to keep up with a planer.
Used band saws pop up regularly around here for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Often, they come with a collection of blades and have enough mileage on them to have exposed any issues. The standard 14" design (with the option of a riser block for 12" resaw capacity) is tried and true and is made by just about every manufacturer out there. That might be your best value. Also, because they're so similar regardless of manufacturer, blades, parts, and accessories are readily available.
Other than my Inca jointer / planer, my machines are older - dating from the 1890's through the 1950's. When i get one, i assume i'll be tearing it apart, replacing bearings, belts, wiring, etc., cleaning it up, maybe painting it, and puting it back into service. Things like bearings and belts are actually pretty cheap and not difficult to replace. It's those sorts of things that generally drop the price wayyyyy down compared to newer equipment. Then, when i'm done with the machine, i really know what i've got and how to work it. This approach has allowed me to buy much higher quality equipment than i'd ever have been able to purchase new.
The other benefit to buying used equipment is that, if you decide after a while you don't use it or that a different model would work better for you, you're not losing money when you sell it. I don't mean that every used machine is a good buy, but if you do your homework and look things over before forking over cash, you should be alright.

I'm the same way with hand tools. Bringing an old grubby hand plane back to life is particularly rewarding and doesn't take more than a few evenings. Some of my planes are new, but several of them are quite old and were cheaply purchased at garage sales or flea markets. Again, do your homework before buying. People can get sentimental about the quality of old tools. There were excellent tools "back in the day" but there was also a lot of junk. The good thing is that there are a lot of high quality old tools out there for very reasonable prices. www.rexmill.com has a lot of great info on rehabbing old planes.

In general, i try to keep a little fun money available so that i can take advantage of useful deals when i find them. That said, it's always fun to look a little for specific things too. Going the used tool route takes some time, but it's also a little fun.

If you're looking to grow the basic capacity of your shop and you're buying new equipment, i'd probably base my purchases on what i need to have to complete the next project on the docket.

I'm sure you'll get a 100 different answers to your question, and they're probably all equally valid. Figure out what works and have fun with it.