New Toy in the Shop!

Bill Arnold

Staff member
In another thread a while back, I talked about my Old Delta lunchbox planer blowing up and asked for input about a specific planer to replace it. Several people encouraged me to take a step up and go for the DeWalt DW735 2-speed planer. Sticker shock was an issue, but I didn't really need a planer for a while so I kept watching the price of the DW735. Patience (not something I'm known for) paid off! ;)

A couple of weeks ago, the price of the DW735 dropped to $495 on Amazon.com, so I ordered one. It arrived in a few days, but had some damage to the platen base frame. Amazon shipped another unit right away and it arrived last evening. The replacement unit looks fine and looks even better now that it's in my shop! :thumb:

An unexpected bonus is that Amazon must be shipping the DW735X package in place of the DW735. The "X" package includes the infeed/outfeed tables and a set of three replacement blades. That's $100 worth of stuff I wasn't expecting and got for the price of the planer alone! :eek:

On my original order, I included a set of i/o tables so now I have a set I'll need to return. Oh, well, small price to pay in the grand scheme of things. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• DW735_1.jpg
    DW735_1.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 40
  • DW735_2.jpg
    DW735_2.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 43
Congrats Bill! Nice getting the upgraded package, the replacement blades are not cheap!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, I sure like mine! :thumb: :thumb::champagne:

Bill, I love mine. The blades alone I think I paid over $80 last time I bought a set. Depending on use the original one should last you a looooooooooong time.
Amazon.com has the blades priced at $50, down from their regular price of $77.42. It's interesting that you get excellent blade life whereas others say the blades or garbage. I guess it all depends on how one uses one's tools, huh? ;)

I like the base cabinet. Did you make it?
Ken,

I made that cabinet and a similar one for sanders several years ago. My shop, when we were still in Florida, was half of a two-car garage, so I had most tools mobile, including my tablesaw. Here are the two carts I built:
shop-planer-cart.jpg

shop-sander-cart.jpg

congrats billon the new toy:) the best thing for blade life is clean lumber in it.. sand will dull blades fast and to much cut at one time is hard on them as well..

congrats billon the new toy:) the best thing for blade life is clean lumber in it.. sand will dull blades fast and to much cut at one time is hard on them as well..

I learned that the hard way too. Don't even remember what I put through my planer, but at one point the blade got badly chewed up.
Now, if I even think my wood might be dirty I wire brush, then regular brush it before planing.