Planer outfeed issue

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
A while back I bought planer like the one below for $80 from someone that picked it up at an estate auction. Finally got to use it the other night for the first time. Worked well, but as the wood exits the back side, it's rubbing on the casting of the carriage and hangs the wood up as it's being pulled through.

Didn't see any adjustments to lower the blade and rollers, so was considering just grinding that casting down 1/32" - 1/16" on the back side to give it some relief. Any other suggestions?

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-hp-12-inch-planer-with-dust-collection-95082.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• image_3149.jpg
    image_3149.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 43
I can't see where grinding/filing a tad off that 'tab' would hurt anything. I'd go for it.

BTW, I've seen a few planers with a tab similar to that on the infeed side, but never on the outfeed. Gotta wonder what it's there for...

I can't see where grinding/filing a tad off that 'tab' would hurt anything. I'd go for it.

BTW, I've seen a few planers with a tab similar to that on the infeed side, but never on the outfeed. Gotta wonder what it's there for...

that was what i was gonna say..at first i thought that someone put it together wrong..they have them in the frnt to gauge what will fit threw on infeed but never saw one on the back side??? grind it darren yu wouldnt hurt anything and yu certainly dont have alot invested..