truly only a new shop heater- furnace fixed!

Ned Bulken

Well, months before I even get a shop I had to go invest in this tonight:

heater.jpg

our furnace quit working late last night. it has been flaky for awhile, but until today it 'eventually' kicked over and warmed the house up again. TOday it got down to 50* in the house by the time the tech got there. TUrns out the gas valve at the furnace failed (CLOSED) and the furnace is old enough we are waiting on the replacement valve for a day or so.

we're expecting 10" of snew again ,plus the temp is going down to 10* tonight, so the LOML and I are going to take shifts keeping an eye on the new heater until we get it repaired. We're keeping windows cracked for fresh air and are not going to leave it unattended. Thankfully I'm an early morning owl, she's taking the 1st watch, I expect I'll be up in about 4 hours or so.

guess I get to keep it and heat my shed when I build it in a few months.

Last edited:
Ned, I assume that the heater is kerosene. In the past I heated many different buildings with such heaters. I find that they heat well but I don't like the smell and am somewhat afraid of the fumes. You are wise to keep a watch on t.

yep,
k-1 kerosene is the fuel of choice. I"m a city boy , and this is my first experience with kero heaters, other than my buddy Grizz's shop lasts weekend.

keeping the windows cracked, and the fumes, while not ideal, are better than frozen pipes and frostbitten noses.

Well,
The kero heater did its job, but it is unemployed as of about 20 minutes ago.

The HVAC tech came back today and I'm currently listening to a nicely purring furnace in the utility room next to my computer.

Money well spent, but ultimately a band-aid. The furnace is 12 years old and more than showing its' age. Ah well, we'll see what we can do in the next few months.

Money well spent, but ultimately a band-aid. The furnace is 12 years old and more than showing its' age. .....

Awww shucks Ned - it's just a baby :) . When we moved into our house 21 years ago this July, our furnace was about 4 years old. We're going to replace it this summer (along with the 23 year old air conditioning system). It's a mid-efficiency NG furnace and I think what kept it from suffering the usual "cracked heat exchanger" problem was that we have run a two speed fan 24/7 for 21 years. So far we've had to replace two gas valve control modules and one fan motor - not bad for 25 years.

John
sounds like ours might not make it that long. The heat exchanger is suspect. At that point we will definitely be looking at replacment costs etc....

Ours is a NG carrier, which was produced locally, but isn't the greatest furnace in the world.

I'm just thankful that we got it repaired, that noreaster is continuing to dump snow on our area, and while I had enough kero for tonight, tomorrow I would have had to slide in to town to get more.