Hollowing error

Dan Mosley

Turned another large Vessel today (see Pictures 1-2) and ran into a problem somewhere around the middle. I was using a bit held in a rotating tip and probably hollowing at a lower speed than normal when I heard a catch type noise. I stopped the lathe and pulled the bar out and the tip was gone from it. I then blew out the vessel and cleared out all the chips. Then reached in with a magnetic wand and fished around for the bit but nothing was in there. Probably blew it out into the pile of wood chips....ahhhhh shoooot.....

So, I tooled up another bit and put it into a straight bar and started hollowing again. Then another loud noise and my laser danced all around wildly. I stopped it again and clean it out. Pulled out the straight bar and looked at the tip of the new cutter and it was damaged badly. What the heck is going on ???

I resharpened the damaged bit and then took a light to the mouth of the vessel because it was to hard to get a good look thru the hole. I saw that the first cutter that had come off was lodged in a knot type hole in the middle of the vessel solidlly - which is what caused the second cutter to fail and get damaged. Next problem was to figure out how to get it unstuck from 7 1/2" deep in the side wall. I got out a long punch and locked the headstock and chiped away at where it was lodged and knocked it loose finally, the fished it out with a magnet. Then finished it as normal - After, I went in the house and prayed to the turning god - "To-Bro" Picture-3

But what a strange problem to run into...................................................

Acutally the wood statue I picked up at a garage sale for $10.00 and put a coat of DO on it - It was originally made in Yogyakarta region of Java - handcrafted - Wife hates it - I like it.....hummmmmmmm:rofl:

Attachments

• Large Olive Vessel-1.jpg
    Large Olive Vessel-1.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Large Olive Vessel-2.jpg
    Large Olive Vessel-2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Turning-Statue.jpg
    Turning-Statue.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 59
Quite a day Dan. I had that happen one time quite a while back. Right next to mine was barbed wire inside the piece. Never have figured out how it got there and how it pulled out my cutter.

Bernie - yeah odd thing - I was using my D-arm when it happened - today I am going to do some work on it.

Cynthia - I will let you know.....I am going back to the same place in a day or so to look at some other stuff he is getting rid of - I will see if he still has the other ones left and let you know............I like the carving LOL - it must be interesting to see someone sit and carve this thing out of a trunk of wood - little tag says it is a craft handed down thru generations at these small villages.

Drew - A wizard hat ? LOL thats a good one - I was thinking because it has holes in the hands that I may make some spears or something.

That's bizarre, but I guess it happens. Im still working on dodging "flinged" pieces, and have not graduated to foreign objects to blame...yet! Glad you didn't get hurt.

ps- that carving is so ugly, I gotta get me one!

Last edited: