DW734 vs. DW735

Go for it. The 734 is more than enough tool for what the average part time woodworker needs. I've had one for quite awhile. Planed several thousand bf of hard and soft wood with it. Just changed my blades for the first time last month.

Last edited:
I've run a 734 for years. Dad has the 735. I cannot tell the difference in surface but, the 735 is a heavier beast and boasts two speeds which is sweet. Even though I bought a Grizzly 15" spiral G0453Z I am keeping the DW734 too if that tells you anything. I get a lot of life out of the knives and they are double sided.

The DW735 is an awesome machine but it overshot its price point somewhere around $400. Folks are willing to pay it so the price keeps going up, searching for that "no-go" point in the sky. The DW734 is getting up there too though ;-) Both have 3 knives. The 735 runs knives that some (not all) report poor life on. The 734 runs a larger knife but both machines knives are disposable.

Last edited:
I've had a 733 for quite a few years. It has done a great job, and is all the planer I've needed. [The 733 is very much like a 734, but has bulkier, resharpenable blades.]

I have the 735 and it has a lot of features that make it the great machine it is. Besides the great chip removal system, it has a dept of cut indicator. Fixed stop at 1/8",1/4",1/2",3/4",1", 1 1/8" to keep you from cutting to deep and weighs in a t just under 100 lbs. It also has the reversable blades. I am on my second set.

No mater what planer you have a DC system is pretty much a must. Plane 50bf of rough sawn lumber and you are knee deep in chips :rofl:
The 733 &734 have stops at all the common thicknesses. If I had the extra $ I would own a 735. But the 733 or 734 I have does a fantastic job.

I waited for the price to get right on the 735. I caught it for $495 on Amazon a couple of weeks ago. An unexpected bonus was that they shipped the DW735X package that includes the infeed/outfeed tables and a set of knives and charged me the same price. I've used it a little and am very pleased with the results.

I just retrieved my 734 from the local repair shop... (oops, bent the gib bars, :rolleyes: shop owner said that they pretty much run forever, and that what repairs he does do are operator error). THe shop owner also had some firm words about the 735, saying that they're overpriced (even before the proposed/purported new version with helical head which is going to run $1000 or so). He allowed as how at that point you might as well pony up for a 15" real planer which will also do gang saw duty etc ... and when you're done with it will hold the value for resale.