Delta Score!

michael james

Ok, I decided to act on a local sale and got a better deal than I thought I would on the 46-460, and still able to support locally (woodworkers supply) and of course no shipping. Got it bolted into my portable bench and will test it this weekend. Im foreseeing bracing up and ballast and I should be fine.
If I dont have it broken in by the end of the Tday long weekend..well, I probably don't deserve it!:rofl:
Holiday cheer is getting a major head start!

Attachments

• Photo-0049.jpg
    Photo-0049.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 150
Woot! Congrats, homeboy. :thumb: That's a great lathe...it's the one I've had my eye on for when I get a small one to keep my 3520B company.

That is a great lathe and you will love it. I mounted mine on a little bathroom cabinet I picked up for free from someone remodeling. It works great, has shelves and drawers underneath. The ballast is all the wood I store on the shelves.

Attachments

• IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks

Wobbly bench might be a problem. But, in long run, you will be absolutely delighted with it. :thumb:

Well I'll try it with what I have, wobble wasnt really a problem with the other lathe which was about 5# lighter...if it is.....Plan B by Thanksgiving:thumb:
My problem with a bench mount is space. I actually would have sprung for a larger lathe, but I only have 1 spot for it and I dont want to be stuck there, so it's got to be mobile. Lil missie keeps telling me you CANNOT get any more tools AND the car in there...:dunno: she has no vision:rofl:
I've got some pens and potpourris to crank out and finish a couple of small hollows. I know Im gonna love it............. alot!

ps - Decided to spring $3.79, tax included and bought 3 8" cinder blocks. Problem solved. I'm sure I will continue to tweak the setup, but man this lathe is like day and night compared to the HF I was using. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

Last edited:
I've had mine for just a little over a year and have not had any sort of vibration problems. This includes using stock that was no where near balanced but the variable speed helps cure any balance issues until you have the stock "round". Enjoy. Also, they say that the lathe is the cheapest part of getting into the turning hobby and my experience has proved that to be very true - chisels, more chisels, different chisels, chisel sharpening equipment & tools, etc.

I have the bug to sell my Jet 1014 non-vs for the Delta VS. Just can't catch them on sale at the right time.

I have looked at this lathe here for $999.00 for quite a while.

http://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet.com/delta/nav/wood-lathes.asp

They make it look like you get a a Nova G3 chuck + 6" and 10" tool rest, spur center, chrome 3" face plate, tool rest base, knockout bar, live center, wrenches. (which appear to come with the lathe on other sites) with the stand & stand extension & bed extension. It does save you about $95 & you get a Nova G3 chuck. How do they compare with the Oneway Stronghold?

I already have a Oneway Talon chuck & thought I'd go with a Stronghold when the time came that I needed a bigger chuck.

I have found discussions on the 46-460 lathe very interesting.

I currently own a Jet mini (A woodworkers & Turners BBQ door prize) & an old Delta double duty lathe along with a 1 phase to 3 phase converter hooked to a 2 HP Baldor motor. My thought is to keep the Jet lathe along with a bed extension for spindle work & build a bowel lathe & power it with my converter system & motor.

Last edited:
I have the bug to sell my Jet 1014 non-vs for the Delta VS. Just can't catch them on sale at the right time.

Welcome to the forum, Steve. :wave:

I've turned on both the lathes you mentioned (including the one in the photos in this thread), and the Delta would be a nice trade up from the Jet. (And that Jet is a fine little lathe in its own right.) :thumb:

Bart, if I was in your shoes, I'd be looking the Jet mini with an extension bed and a big homemade bowl lathe. The Delta with the stand and an extension would be a great spindle lathe, but it'd still be limited weight-wise and swing-wise for bowls and larger hollow forms.

An on your chuck question, the G3 is a fine chuck, but it's more in the same class as the Oneway Talon, not the Stronghold.

Vaughn

This is what I've got in mind. (see below URL) Only I want a tail stock too.

I am thinking of making my own head stock though using a Jet 1642 or Grizzly G0632 spindle.

Part of the reason for building the head stock is so I can do like Vega does on their head stocks fill it with cement

http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideArticle.aspx?id=26160

Here is another Idea.

http://www.esarmiento.250x.com/shopen.htm

More of the above lathe.

http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot473.shtml