New Shop

Ok, so this isn't going exactly as planned.

Apparently the truss system was designed by an engineer and they didnt' exactly include some parts again, drawings weren't clear, something. All they got done was putting the trusses up and sheeting the top today. It started sprinkling around 4, and one of the builders slid off the roof so they didn't get any tyvek or tar paper down... (he's ok btw)

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day. I'm really really really glad I did this with an established company for a fixed price now :D

Ended up with an electrician, roofing crew, the builder, and framing crew all here today. Made a lot of progress. It'll be a while to finish bricking the outside because the weather isn't cooperating, but it's dried in so they can move foward on the electrical, insulation, and drywall.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_3.jpg
    IMG_0001_3.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0002_1.jpg
    IMG_0002_1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 101
Thanks, it's like christmas all over again:)

The ceiling is 9', but that's a 8' high roll up door so that the tracks won't be in the way of shelving.

Floor is going to be epoxy paint and I'll get some anti fatigue mats to put around the bench. Thought about doing a nice flooring but the price / finishing would make a mess.

Good plan. :thumb:

I guess in Alabama you don't have to worry about it getting real cold. I know from my shop walking around on the concrete, aside from the hardness, it also seems to suck the heat directly out of my feet.

The brick is going well, should be done on monday. If the weather isn't to bad this coming week, the contractors will be done on friday. It will probably take the rest of the weekend to finish the epoxy floors though.

Attachments

• IMG_0001_4.jpg
    IMG_0001_4.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0002_2.jpg
    IMG_0002_2.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 84
What a beautiful shop! Great Job! I don't know if I missed it or not, but what are you going to do for your DC? Will you be hiding all the ductwork in the ceiling with just pipes coming down to the machines or will you still run a visible trunk through the shop?

Brian

Grizzley 3hp cyclone. The ducting will be hanging from the ceiling. It's possible I might run 1 run through the attic that goes across the shop, I'm going to need to see what it looks like when I get everything in there.

Thanks for the comments guys. The outside is actually the minimum acceptable for the neighborhood. Brick to match the house, minimum 7/12, architectural shingles, and I could either do brick gables or hip roof. The hip is cheaper. We knew that when moving here, but the price of this house was good enough to make up for the extra shop cost.

Grizzley 3hp cyclone. The ducting will be hanging from the ceiling. It's possible I might run 1 run through the attic that goes across the shop...

I've got a 4" PVC duct running across my attic, and have found that in very cold weather I'm getting condensation in the ducting. :( It runs down the drops and puddles at the low points. I actually disconnect one of the flex lines and run it into a bucket to catch the condensate so that it doesn' end up inside one of the tools. YMMV

looking good jeb.. if i were to do it again i would have opted out of the epoxy you got going in and look at a wood covering on the floor..the rolling carts or tools dont roll well on the mats.. but the mats are very nice on the feet....

My dream shop is probably hardwood flooring over insulation, but wasn't really in the budget. Anyone tried laminate flooring in a shop before? It crossed my mind, pretty easy to put down in a room like that.