Norms Router Table

Hello all! This caught My attention Talking about the inside of the table to have the scrap from sticking, How about a plastic laminate? It seems that the saw dust would no longer be a problem. Just a thought. Tables listed are great by the way! :) The Dutchman:

Howard I wondered about laminate on the inside of the collection area. I am thinking static electricity could be a problem with it. Not from an explosion but from just the cling created by it.

Howard I wondered about laminate on the inside of the collection area. I am thinking static electricity could be a problem with it. Not from an explosion but from just the cling created by it.

The finish on the interior of my cabinet is wipe-on Polyurethane (home made 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and Polyurethane). There may be some collection of dust when I don't run the DC, but for the most part, it always looks clean; it would be easy to clean with the brush on your shop vac.

-Don

Don,

I like your drill press base better than the one I made. I really followed Larry Ms "If in doubt, build it stout." I think I over did it.

I did recess the base, just as you did because the DP is more than tall enough for my 5' 6". Also, as I remember, the head on the DP is something like 90#. If I were moving it and it started to go...it would go. The darn thing weighs about the same as I do.

Note the bolts that screw down to lift the base just off of the casters.

Basically I did what you did except I put my casters on outriggers. My footprint is too large for my shop. Don't be surprised if I copy you when, and it, I ever get time. I didn't even think of recessing the casters like you did. Dumb Guy Me.

Enjoy,

Jim

Don,

I like your drill press base better than the one I made. I really followed Larry Ms "If in doubt, build it stout." I think I over did it.

I did recess the base, just as you did because the DP is more than tall enough for my 5' 6". Also, as I remember, the head on the DP is something like 90#. If I were moving it and it started to go...it would go. The darn thing weighs about the same as I do.

Note the bolts that screw down to lift the base just off of the casters.

Basically I did what you did except I put my casters on outriggers. My footprint is too large for my shop. Don't be surprised if I copy you when, and it, I ever get time. I didn't even think of recessing the casters like you did. Dumb Guy Me.

Enjoy,

Jim

Thank for the complement Jim! As you noted, these drill presses are heavy! I don't know if you noticed, but I have two pieces of 3/4" plywood laminated for the base to stiffen it up. I noticed some wobble on my DP even when sitting on concrete floor with 3/4" plywood bolted to base! (recommended by Delta).

I've used the base for about 8 months now, and it does the job! I should also point out that I have a lot of weight sitting on the shelf above the rear wheels; an electric motor and a can of tow chains.

I think your base looks good! :thumb: If you're like me, the DP seldom gets moved. Having the base makes it easy to do, without the base it can be a dangerous task!

-Don