Proper technique for wiring 220 outlet?

Wes Billups

What is the proper way to wire a three prong 220 Volt outlet? The outlets I bought have two screws for the hot legs and then one green screw. I was assuming I just wouldn't use the ground wire since I pulled 12/3 but am now wondering if I should use the ground wire and not use the neutral leg for these outlets.

Thanks is advance for everyone's help. These three prong outlets match all of my 220 equipment so I won't be changing to a four prong configuration.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

Wes - I'm not an electrician but I've done 12/2 220v. I would not use the neutral and use the ground and the two hot legs. That eliminates the confusion later. Also, mark the neutral in the breaker panel and the box to show it is not used for that circuit.

my 2 cents....

Wes, if you don't know, hire an electrician! Don't risk the potential hazard!

Good advice Ed.

Both of my sons are electricians, wish I could ask one for you Wes. Oldest is a journeyman running commercial jobs, youngest a 2nd year apprentice working for the same company.

I can remember my oldest son had a fit one time while reading on SMC when someone gave wrong advice to another person...and he told that person so. That person was a ameteur who was knowledgeable but not to the degree of the question being asked, and luckily admitted he was wrong, or at least not entirely sure.

This question however does sound like a easier one, but I'd certainly at least check with an electrician....electricity is not something to mess with and from what my kids have told me it is the lower (110) stuff that is the most likely to kill you.

There's no one to ask today!

I was hoping there was an electrician on this board that may be able to answer my question. I've done quite a bit of wiring in the past and feel very comfortable doing this kind of work. We're snowed in today and the county building department is off so I can't ask the electrical inspector nor any electricians. I'd check another 220 in my house to see how the builder did it but the only 220 outlet is my four prong dryer.

Hopefully somebody will know the answer as I'd like to get these outlets done today while I'm home and don't have much else to do.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

wes,

how bout searching the net for an electricians forum, if they have them for woodworkers they may have them for lectricians...even though it isn't really hobby.

just a thought
chris

Wes, I called my oldest son the journeyman electrician and tried to explain what you are asking.

Let me start by saying I know very little about electricity but here is what my son told me if I relayed the information to him correctly.

"The Red and Black wires go to the hot, your bare wire goes to the green screw and you abandon the white wire."

Does that make any sense to you?:dunno:

This is a good forum for electrical info. It's for electricians and engineers, and they don't allow DIY questions, so consider it a "read-only" experience. It's searchable and you might pick up some helpful info by sifting through some posts. There is also a good shop wiring FAQ that may provide some guidance.

Another thought: check your local bookstore or library for a good electrical wiring book.

Cheers,

Kevin

"The Red and Black wires go to the hot, your bare wire goes to the green screw and you abandon the white wire."
QUOTE]

Steve, thanks for the info. I googled this question after reading Chris' suggestion and came up with the same info your son supplied. I guess I could have saved a little money by pulling 12/2 and just coloring the white on both ends to signify it is a hot lead. I wired up four outlets this afternoon and they all work fine so thanks everyone for your help.

Now I'm out to shovel a 4' mound of snow/ice away from the front of my drive way.

Thanks,
Wes Billups

You are welcome Wes, I help when I can...after all, that's what Vaughn pays me the big bucks for.:D

And actually my son's first comment was you didn't need to run 12/3 but now that you did have it, that was how to make it work.

I don't have a clue electrically, I'm lucky my son does my electrical work, he has been in the process of running my stuff in conduit and is going to make a service change since I am outgrowing what I have in my shop.

Glad you are up and running:thumb:

Good job Wes. I wasn't trying to scare you out of doing it yourself, and I would probably have done the same thing. Just wanted you to make sure you knew what you were doing and I wasn't qualified to answer your question,

:thumb: