Hunters Paradise

I was driving from Butte to Helena MT the other day, and about 30 miles north of my house and I was lucky enough to catch these pictures of a group of Elk crossing the highway. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Attachments

• Elk.01 (800 x 533).jpg
    Elk.01 (800 x 533).jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Elk.02 (800 x 533).jpg
    Elk.02 (800 x 533).jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Elk.03 (800 x 533).jpg
    Elk.03 (800 x 533).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 55
Great shots, Jiggs. There were a couple of really nice bulls in that herd. (They all look like they've had a good summer and fall.) How many would you guess were in the herd? Gauging by the first pic, it looks like easily 80 to 100.

Yep, I'd say at least 100!

Great pics of them leaping the fence too!

I've never had Elk, I've had deer, moose and caribou but never elk.

I love to see these wonderful animals in their natural habitat, just makes me smile!

i agree on the 80 number, and they must be coming down for the winter range areas..strange to see so many bulls with cows in one group unless they were staging for winter..and stu if yu ever get a chance to try elk do it its rates right up there with moose and caribo.. bob they are magestic critters and when yu stumble on one laying down in tall grass at under 20 yrds they are very intimadating if all yu have is a YOU to protect your self:)

nice pics jiggs!! got relatives in helna:)

Afert seing the first picture I thought that those fences were to keep them away or confined but seeing how they leap I wonder if they were more intended for humans than animals, or maybe a different type of animal like cows for instance.

We have similar scenes here in Spain but with sheep, ours is a small country;):D

Yep, I'd say at least 100!

Great pics of them leaping the fence too!

I've never had Elk, I've had deer, moose and caribou but never elk.

I love to see these wonderful animals in their natural habitat, just makes me smile!

My Uncle's brother in law was an avid hunter and usually did a trip to Idaho every year... he brought home an elk one year and we did a party at his house... I like elk better than deer myself.... never had moose or caribou. My uncle gave me a package of ground meat... makes great spaghetti sauce.

I was driving from Butte to Helena MT the other day, and about 30 miles north of my house and I was lucky enough to catch these pictures of a group of Elk crossing the highway. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Jiggs,
That is a great shot... I got up close and nearly personal once with a few elk... the wife and I were on our way from Houston to Portland to visit her daughter... we spent the night in Trinidad, NM and set the alarm for 0500... but forgot to allow for the time change so we were up at 0400 and headed out. It was darker than the inside of a whatever is really dark inside :D .. I couldn't see very far in front of the car, but felt something in the road ahead.... we ran up on a herd crossing the highway... a big buck jumped right in front of my Explorer...maybe 6-10 feet away... an awesome sight after my sphincter relaxed a little and I could ascertain what had just happened. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Great shots and an amazing sight.
Toni, the fences are to keep cattle in. I'm sure the landowner does not appreciate all those grass eating elk on his property. We have reintroduced elk to parts of Arkansas and they have put some ranchers out of business by eating the grass intended for their cattle.