Signing Work

Branding iron for the wood creations. But, when I was building my house I would occasionally sign and date the back of a piece of trim or the wall behind a kitchen cabinet. I even signed the subfloor before I nailed down the hardwood flooring :D

I got the idea of doing stuff like that when I lived in an old (built in 1798) house along the Ohio River. The plaster in the foyer had been signed and dated by the wallpaper hanger in 1868 IIRC. When our house was on a home tour one Christmas the great great granddaughter of the paper hanger wanted to see the signature, as she had read about it in a local museum.

So, someday someone might uncover my name and I'll have my 15 minutes of fame and won't even be around to enjoy it.

I have put my signiture on 1000's of homes i've built through out my life. Ofcorse no one will know who i am as it's just a big thumb(like Steve's avator):rofl: This is the truth. It started when i was hitchicking across the country, back in the 70's. I would but the thumb on the signs and the words saying going my way.:thumb: I still put that thumb on all the homes i build.
Steve

In the past, I have written notes to whomever I made it for, on the back or bottom or inside...

Also have signed the back and dated in Sharpie, Turnings I ofter sign an initial and year date in small sharpie just before the final coat of finish.

Signed in black or white (depending on the wood/finish) with a paint pen, sealed over, next to a penny for the date stamp in an unseen location.

Attachments

• copper-dating.jpg
    copper-dating.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I hand sign, date, and give each piece a unique part number with an archive pen. The last part is because, with the exception of pens, bottle stoppers, and Kaleidoscopes, each piece is unique.

Bruce

Last edited:
I have used a new penny in a out of the way place on the piece for the date for the past twenty years or so, this is the first thing family members always look for, I also sign them before finishing in the same area.
Chuck

On most turned pieces I use a woodburning pen that's shaped into my initials, then use a fine-point woodburning pen to write the species, serial number and date. Small things like bottle stoppers or pens don't get signed. So far, most of the flatwork I've done has no markings, but I've used my VM woodburner on a few things.

would like to brand with an unique logo... but not yet.

so I use a sharpie. name, date and type of wood.