Cocobolo

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
This is a Jr. Retro pen using wood from the trade box that was/is going around.

Do not know who put in the Cocobolo wood blank but I want to thank them..

The photo is somewhat out of focus - no need to critique the photo.

But critiquing the pen is open.

picture.php

Thanks Tom -- I was not trying to be a smart aaaaa - In my own way saying -I know what was/is wrong with the photo -- too lazy to do it the wright way.

paul

Beautiful pen, Paul. I'm personally not real fond of fat pens, but many others are, and you did a great job on this one. :thumb: And the photo isn't bad at all, either. ;)

Paul, I keep coming back to look at this one. I really like the wood and the finish you got on it. What finish did you use, or is the cocobolo just polished? Whatever you did, it looks great. :clap:

Sanded 220-micro mesh, mylands sanding sealer, mylands friction polish (wax) burnished with brown grocery bag, topped off with Microcrystalline wax.

I agree the pen is too fat but it is not as fat as the photo makes it look.:D

Christmas present for Son.

Paul,
Great looking piece of wood... for my personal use, I agree with Vaugh,Bernie and Frank... for my use I'm not a fan of the fat pen, but you'd be surprised at how many I sell that people like the fatter pens... always some comment about arthiritis, sore hands and etc...

Cocobolo is one of my most favorite woods.... I did a pepper mill out of some a while back and sold it immediately.... had two orders for two more almost immediately.... but haven't made up any since. I think I need to make another trip to the woodstore and get a couple more boards.

ONE of the reasons for posting this was to try and find out who included the cocobolo blank in the box that was sent around. I was one of the earlier recipients of the box of blanks. Turned the name off before I realized it.

I wanted to thank that person.

Thanks for the response to the threat.

paul

ONE of the reasons for posting this was to try and find out who included the cocobolo blank in the box that was sent around. I was one of the earlier recipients of the box of blanks. Turned the name off before I realized it.

I wanted to thank that person.

Thanks for the response to the threat.

paul

I had a dozen or so cocobolo spindle blanks about 1" sq and 12" long. I put several of those in the swap. :dunno::dunno:

This blank was a tad over 5- 1/2 inches by 3/4 inch.

Just maybe the person before me cut it in half - kept half and sent half on to me ..

So I say thank you..

Fat Pens

I, for one, AM a fan of fat pens. I have very big hands and little pens are cumbersome for me to use. My wife says I have "paws". So the big pens are great in my opinion!

Nice looking pen you got there and your photography is not out of line either. I still can't take a picture worth a crap and I haven't been able to beg Les Elm enough to tell me how he does it.

Keep turning out the GREAT pens buddy!

I had a dozen or so cocobolo spindle blanks about 1" sq and 12" long. I put several of those in the swap. :dunno::dunno:

The blank in question was signed by Jon Shively.
BTW, there is another blank in the box labeled "unk" and signed with initials 'CE'. But, on the other side of the blank it is identified as 'tambouie' in my handwriting.
This had to be from a previous swap. I'd love to know the route and miles that blank has traveled.
Kinda plain wood, probably reason no one has claimed it.

The blank in question was signed by Jon Shively.
BTW, there is another blank in the box labeled "unk" and signed with initials 'CE'. But, on the other side of the blank it is identified as 'tambouie' in my handwriting.
This had to be from a previous swap. I'd love to know the route and miles that blank has traveled.
Kinda plain wood, probably reason no one has claimed it.

Frank,
I haven't been in a swap for a while, so don't know when the one you are talking about started.... my initials are CE and I think I marked a few on the last box that came through here... I'm sure I would have seen a mark on the other side, but if you have a chance, a quick pic might solve your mystery.