Wrapping Organizer - Done

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
My wife saw this in the PB catalog the other day and mentioned that she'd like to have one soon since the wrapping season is upon us. Been learning to use sketchup and decided to make it my first project as she has a few enhancements she'd like done to it. One thing I'm having issues doing is getting the routed slots for the dowels to have a small dip at the bottom to keep the dowels from pulling directly out of the slots, not sure how to do it. Any advice?

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wrapping Organizer.png
    Wrapping Organizer.png
    20.5 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:
What Ned said. :thumb:

(our use of wrapping paper has dropped like a stone since my wife started sewing fabric gift bags almost 10 years ago. Most come right back afterwards for re-use. Others don't, but then that gives us a little turnover. Many people here are using paper gift-bags also, so those usually go out w/ kids birthday parties.)

Thanks guys. I guess I know how to make the dip on the physical project. I was really wanting to know how to make the offset in sketchup. I'd draw two circles and connect them, but they are close and the lines aren't suppose to cross. Still going through the tutorials, so maybe I'll come across something.

Darren i owe you for this one. I think that would be a great Xmas present for Loml now she has her own project room.

Can you believe the price $229 and its painted probably junk wood underneath.

Who says you cannot compete making something like this for a living.

i will give it a try and paint it to boot. Thanks:thumb: Great idea.

Sorry i cannot help you with the Sketchup drawing i am still learning myself.

But i will wing it. My wife aint seen the pottery barn one. so i am off the hook on any differences.:D:rofl:;)

Thanks Don, not sure why I didn't think of that, Also drew each of mine individually, could have been a component too. DOH! :doh:

Rob, Glad I could help. I'm also planning to incorporate a ribbon box into the one for my wife. Much like this one with the holes in the front. I may still do a lid, but want to put it in the place above the drawer and use a dowel from the top to pin it in to the frame. That way she wouldn't pull it off the shelf when she pulled the ribbon. Just pull the pin to slide it out and she can take it down to refill or use off the table.

Darren, I suppose it's too late for this but I'll post it anyway. This may not be the shape you want but the idea is there.

1. Layout for and draw a circle for the end of channel.

2. Draw the lines for the channel.

3. Draw an arc for the transition.

4. Delete the unneeded lines and the guides. Optional: Weld the lines and arcs. This will save clean up time later and is faster than doing the clean up..

5. Push/Pull to push the channel to depth.

You don't need to make a component of the outline of the channel but you should Move/Copy and make a linear array instead of drawing each channel from scratch.

And if you make the sides instances of the same component and flip one of them to create a mirror copy, the channels will all be cut at the same time. Then make one of them unique so you can cut the extra dado on the right side.

That's very close, but because I'll probably be using a 1/2" or 5/8" router bit to make the grooves, I'll want the channel and the dip at the end to both be 1/2" or 5/8" respectively. Can I draw two circles that do overlap, draw straight lines to connect them as well as the angled channel, then remove the overlapped lines?

I'm just going off of what the tutorials said, which was to not overlap lines...I guess I should give it a try...there's always the undo option. ;)

Darren, there's no rules against overlapping lines. Sometimes you need to do that. You just have to be aware that they will cut each other where they cross. Usually, if you are overlapping, that's what you want anyway.

Don's illustration shows overlapping circles to make an oval quite nicely.

I knew the shape I drew might not be what you want. It was just the process I was trying to show.

You got it, guess I should have just tried it, but didn't wan to mess up what I had already started.

attachment.php

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help!

Attachments

• groove.jpg
    groove.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 109
Dave you seen those guys that developed that software that takes sketchup drawing and makes G code for the cnc router.

I bet this would be handy here Darren. Fire up the cnc router and do it with G code. Bit of an overkill but then you dont have to make a template.:D Plus i would like to see the cnc work and you could do an iphone or smartphone video for us of it cutting the slot. Hey you gotta have some fun while you at it and the cnc is out and dusted off right.:rolleyes:

Rob, yes, I've seen a number of sites that do CNC stuff from SketchUp or offer the software to export the G-code. There are getting to be places that do "3D printing" from SKP files. I've wondered if they have materials that are hard enough to use as a template on which to guide a router. Seems like for a complex sort of pattern, there could be some value in ordering a custom template from your SketchUp drawing.

Dave you seen those guys that developed that software that takes sketchup drawing and makes G code for the cnc router.

I bet this would be handy here Darren. Fire up the cnc router and do it with G code. Bit of an overkill but then you dont have to make a template.:D Plus i would like to see the cnc work and you could do an iphone or smartphone video for us of it cutting the slot. Hey you gotta have some fun while you at it and the cnc is out and dusted off right.:rolleyes:

I've still got to pickup a 'new' monitor from the local computer salvage place. My son said I could have his old computer for the shop. Turned out he had given away the monitor to a friend and it was just the computer, not thinking to ask first I had given my LCD to my brother. :doh: I'm actually thinking about finding a small LCD or LED TV on sale for black friday and using it for a monitor. That way I'd have a small TV in the shop also.

My CNC only has a 1/4 collet as the router is actually a rotozip. It's good for cutting out designs and signs, but for deep grooves and dados it's got a bit too much slop. Once the shop gets in order I'll start building a new CNC as I've been collecting parts for it for about 2 years now. It should be stout enough to do just about anything, including milling aluminum.

Guess I need to get back to working on this project, my wife mentioned it the other day. :eek: Maybe I can do a two-fer and get it done while waiting glue to dry on the high chairs.