Its Wednesday so what cooking

Don Baer

Staff member
For many on the forum tomarrow starts a 4 day holiday as we give thanks for all we have been blessed with. So what have yall got planned for this thanksgiving long weekend. I'll be kicking back tomarrow enjoying the fine cooking LOML will provide. the rest of the week end is open so I'll figure that out on the fly.

Wednesday: Finish thawing a turkey - it's almost there. I've had the injection marinade steeping for a couple of hours already - a few more hours and it'll be ready. Boston butt is thawed - will get a rub on it shortly. I'm prepping the smoker and will start the turkey and butt around 6pm and let it smoke all night. LOML will whip up a couple of salads today to reduce the work tomorrow.

Thursday: Eat as much of the above as possible! :thumb: ...after adding mashed potatoes and dressing to the menu. :)

Friday: Attend the Black Friday celebration at Lowe's! :eek: Don't see much exciting in their ad, but will go to the store to see what's happening.

Saturday: Continue recovery from all of the above!

Sunday: Suffer withdrawal since NASCAR season is over. At least my guy Jimmie did the deal again!!! I guess LOML and I will have to find an alternate activity.

I "got volunteered" to work at a fundraiser this afternoon, should be fun though. Tomorrow I'm making a cornbread/sausage dressing and going over early with my brother to help my mom get all the rest of the food finished...then eat, then sleep. Friday, staying away from the malls and other shoppers :eek:....more family time and another smaller meal with the inlaws in the afternoon...no firm plans for the rest of the weekend, but I'm sure it will be busy.

Happy Turkey Day to all!!:wave:

LAst night I put the wild turkey I shot last month in a Ranch Marinade and will grill tomorrow.
Thursday Mom and Dad and the boys will be over for dinner, may hunt in the Morning.
Friday Deliver the Gilded furniture and may hunt the customers farm in the afternoon.
Saturday try an all day hunt.
Sunday morning church and then going to look at a new farm to hunt with lots of deer.

After work finish updating my inventory pictures and info for insurance in case of . . . whatever. I do this annually around the holidays.
Thursday - eat.
Friday - recover from eating.
Saturday and Sunday - Shop time.

Finally finished up the work project I've been slaving over the last 4 days.

Now I have to mill up some maple carpet reducer to go over the edge of the laminate I put in. Figured the maple would match the cabinets and fireplace mantle pretty well. Should be a pretty easy project that call all be done on the table saw. New carpet coming next week, so have to get that done if nothing else.

Might spend a little time designing the media alcove and get started on that, time allowing.... (I know, if I was a Levine Machine, I'd get all that done and make a bed and a table or two, but a man's gotta know his limitations :D)...

Heading to my sisters for Thanksgiving tomorrow and probably going to a movie afterward.

Friday I've got a corned beef and some potatoes to throw into the crock pot. I'll be moving the kitchen and xmas stuff to the house (out of my shop ;) ); installing the lally column in the crawl space since the footer has had all week to cure; and starting on doors for the kitchen cabinets.

Saturday I plan to put up the xmas lights outside and tear down the wood stove to install some new firebricks. Might pickup some stove pipe/chimney parts and try to get that installed on Sunday in the shop.

This is the first year in a long time that I'm not cooking a turkey dinner. Instead, I'll be getting the car loaded up and driving down to Palm Springs tomorrow afternoon, so I can be there bright and early Friday morning for the show set-up.

Between now and then, I've got a boatload of chores to get done...smog test the truck, gas up the car, buy more bubble wrap and other packing supplies, photograph a bunch of new turned stuff, pack my clothes and other stuff for a 3-day trip to Palm Springs, and hopefully turn a few more ornaments. I guess this means I should get off the danged computer and get busy, huh? :rolleyes:

Y'all have a great weekend. :wave:

Smog test - I guess it means you folks up north are causing all our smog :rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm only kidding...

Each state has a vehicle check every one or two years to make sure your vehicle is not putting out too much smog. We all hope our cars last to 25+ years where it's no longer required (my DUKTWK only has two more years to go and I can quit limping it to town to get checked...it was only meant to be an off-roader in my opinion)

Going down to my sister's. Ought to be about 15 or so of us there for dinner. We get to tolerate (oops, I mean enjoy) the three (screaming) little kids all day. My nephew isn't coming this year, so that'll mean three fewer kids. Otherwise, there'd be six kids, under 8 years old. Can you say noisy? Or hectic? :eek:

...Each state has a vehicle check every one or two years to make sure your vehicle is not putting out too much smog...

Actually, not each and every state, Sharon. I was amazed to find out that I didn't have to get my cars smogged here in Ohio. Only three metro areas here require it - otherwise, nothing.

After being used to the hassle of the bi-annual testing in California, this was a 'breath of fresh air.' :rofl::rofl:

Thursday: duh, Thanksgiving dinner with the wife, kids and in-laws at our house.
Friday: Prep stock for 15 butcherblock cutting boards
Saturday: Continuation of previous day's efforts
Sunday: See Saturday.

Warning: More information than you probably wanted to know below!

"Smog testing" relates directly to a given airsheds ability to meet the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) promulgated by the US EPA. Failure to meet the standards (e.g. CO, O3, NOx, SOx, PM, etc.) results in the development of a State (or theoretically Federal) Implementation Plan (SIP). One potential element of a SIP is an emission program. These are typically associated with urban areas. Emission programs (or "Smog testing") determine the effectiveness of a vehicles emission control system. If a vehicle fails the test, it needs to go in for repairs to rectify the problem.

It's possible that British Columbia Ministry of the Environment has a similar program. :dunno:

Last edited:
Thurs- food and more food, around 25 or more people coming over. Might lock myself in the shop.:rolleyes:

Fri- Maybe sit in the shop and dream of the day have 2 working arms again.:(

Sat- more sitting and studying.

Sun- Church and study big time, finals coming up and I don't want to look like an idiot.

What I find ironic is, that while in CA, my old 1980 Toyota Supra always passed smog at less than 10% of the maximum allowed (meaning super clean). I kept getting letters from the gov't telling me they'd buy it to get it off the road. I finally took them up on their offer and turned it in for $700 (more than blue book would give). All the guys at the wrecking yard were drooling over it as it was pretty sweet. Kind of miss it now.

My wifes cousin is staying with us this week. Shes in from Houston, so Ive been feeding her NY food.
Pizzerias, kosher delis,and tonight we took a break and I took her to 5 guys because she hasnt had a french fry in years.
My wife is cookin up a storm for tomorrow, so Ive been giving her a break with cooking and hosting her cousin.
Wish I could shove the parts cabinet into her overnight bag and send it to Alan.