Need Unique Stool Design Ideas

Tom Hoffman

I am looking for a simple to make stool for our 38" high kitchen counter top. I have made the top cantelever out approximately 16" on the back side of the cook top. There is approx. 30" of top total behind the cook top. I would like a simple unique design made with few parts to make a pair of stools. I am not wanting to make the typical 3 or 4 leg stools. Last summer we went on a Craft Fare Drive in the Country in W. Wisconsin and I saw some there, but I don't remember much about them and I didn't get any pictures.

Any Ideas. I have also seen some stools that seem to be swiss or scandanavian. Made from boards with interlocking pieces.

Any way, I am not really sure what it is that I am after, just something unique and simple to make.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.:)

Here are some interesting ideas.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Stool.01.jpg
    Stool.01.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Stool.02.jpg
    Stool.02.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Stool.04.jpg
    Stool.04.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 138
  • Stool.05.jpg
    Stool.05.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 139
  • Stool.03.jpg
    Stool.03.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 138
WOW, Some of those are really nice. Some are simple. I love the one made out of the stacked wood with the thin middle. Even with a steel reinforcing rod through the middle, I doubt that it would hold me. Oh, well, I like those bar stools shown on the Am. Wood page.

More, More, More.

Thanks.

Tom...

These don't look too hard.....

I like the look of this one:

And I like these.

So Cynthia, Anna White on the second stool, any relation?:dunno::rolleyes::D

A buddy of mine that just died a couple of weeks ago had me put this style of stools together for him last year. Tried to keep one as they were comfortable. http://www.walmart.com/ip/24-Saddle-Seat-Stool/9864778

Depending on your skill level. http://www.barstools.com/?source=googlecontent&kwid=barstools main

More rustic stools. http://rusticwooddesigns.com/Rustic...es_pine_log_laurel_rhododendron_hickory.shtml

Last edited:
If I were you no matter the design I would make it three legged, that will prevent it from rocking, even if legs aren't og exactly the same length.

So Cynthia, Anna White on the second stool, any relation?:dunno::rolleyes::D

No, Jonathan..........:D

Here are some more I found, Tom. First one, second one (sleek), third one (country).

These are the style I have at home. (I bought them about 20 years ago). I wanted a casual style with arms so my kids--then toddlers--wouldn't fall off of them. Those bar stools stood the test of time and I still have them.

Thanks everyone. I love the log ones, just need a tenon jib to make the tenons on the ends of the logs and of course the logs too. Got tons of willow around, but almost no pine, fir, or spruce.

Probably have to stay with good old white oak.

Thanks again.

Tom...

Thanks everyone. I love the log ones, just need a tenon jib to make the tenons on the ends of the logs and of course the logs too. Got tons of willow around, but almost no pine, fir, or spruce.

Probably have to stay with good old white oak.

Thanks again.

Tom...

Don't give up hope, look at this jig!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcMU4QZPf0w&feature=related

Can you tell log furniture is in my future also???? I think I can build this, now that I have found it for you, it might be a welding project next week in the school shop!

Mission Style

Sharon, I made this for my wife a couple of years ago. After bragging to her while we were dating that I could build furniture. Fifteen years later, I proved it.

She still has to show it off to any one who comes in the house.

BedPics004.jpg

Tom...:D

i agree tom its a fine piece that you made but like sharon says its alot of dusting in those little crannys.. had plans on making a set similar to yours one day but i think that the cleaning lady has changed her mind now..