Veritas New Inset Vice...?

Stuart Ablett

I'm sure a lot of you have already seen this, I got the e-mail from Lee Valley Yesterday.....

05g3101s12_01.jpg
05g3101s12_02.jpg

05G3101s9.jpg

I am going to build a new free standing workbench in the new year, and I really want to put a "Wagon Wheel Vice" into the bench, I saw this, and at $89.00 US (about 7500 yen which is CHEAP) I am really thinking that a couple of these would not be a bad way to go, to put some real versitility in the workbench.

The only thing that I see about it that I don't like is the handle sticking out of the end, it could get in the way, but then again, if I have a regular wagon wheel vice, that handle would be in the way too.:huh:

Thoughts?
:wave:

One draw back for me is I use my regular wood vise on the end with a dog in it for clamping long things flat on the bench. Then I use the regular jaws a lot too. With that you loose the vice. But I realize you are space challenged too.

That looks like the best thing for those delicate items! I agree, I would rip more front pants pockets on that little handle sticking out than it is worth. But a quick thought, hollow out a square on the workbench top that this little vise would fit in the when needed, a hardwood dowel that slides in horizontally like a key so when tightened it didn't "pop up". Then remove when not needed and put in the wooden "plug" to fill the gap? Or use it in combination with a woodworker's vise and have it mounted on a 2x4 rail. Clamp the whole shebang in when needed, remove when not needed. :dunno:

Last edited:
I agree with Jonathan. You sure could hide the handle so it does not become an obstruction.

Well Stu i have become such a Lee Valley fan what can i say but cool.:D

They really are quiet an amazing company.

I can see Jeffs point but i think there is room for this vice when you want to be more sensitive about the clamping force yet need to hold something with more delicate force. The big acme thread can easily very quickly apply a great deal of force or too little. I think this vice is real neat but again its one of these things where one has to consider what you gonna do in your shop.

You said new bench but where is it gonna go? How big you thinking full size or attached to Sawstop again?

I've also been intrigued by this, and think something like that might be good if I ever build another bench. (no plans to do so yet) But I was just thinking about how you may have to be careful with the vac to clean it regularly, since it appears to be just an open cavity. I would think that shavings and sawdust would gradually pack in around the thread?

I've also been intrigued by this, and think something like that might be good if I ever build another bench. (no plans to do so yet) But I was just thinking about how you may have to be careful with the vac to clean it regularly, since it appears to be just an open cavity. I would think that shavings and sawdust would gradually pack in around the thread?

Art, bet you could route an opening below the threads so the chips fall through.