Lumber run

Ned Bulken

I braved the winter weather this morning & scored a fair amount of lumber from a small sawyer. It all came from the land of a Catholic Work Farm (their term) where they live relatively simply, mostly off of the land, and they have a small band mill which they're using to cut up logs from the property.

I picked through their current supply, and got about as much as my van would haul. I could have stuck a few more boards in, but I decided to keep visibility out of the windows instead.

Mixed species, mostly ash, some maple, some yellow birch, a couple of cherry snuck in there somewhere.

$110 for that stash.

had a fun drive back, there were white out conditions and there were over a dozen cars in the ditches on my way home.

Last edited:
Bob,
oh I don't know... there are times when it is useful I suppose... It was pretty snug in there.

I pressed my son James into work, and he made quick work of stacking this up for/with me.

I made room for the haul:

moving this:

and this:

out of the way. I also wound up moving these boards, but they'll go back up on the rack, some of the new boards were a wee bit long for my system.

here it is all in the shop:

my newfangled bench has the 'shorts' from the haul, those plus the two piles which got moved are what I'll be using up first.

two pieces which I was quite happy to get were these 8/4 'short' boards:

maple and what I believe is chestnut.

Thief!!!!!!

what? he advertised at $1.50 bf which is fair for air dried home bandsawn lumber in these parts.

I got about half of what he had on hand... and 'all' of it was the already dry stuff from summer of '09. Extremely nice young man, and tall... I'm 6'3, but I was looking way up at Zach as we were sorting the lumbah. He is easily 7' tall. his stairs to the loft were pretty daunting on the way down... no railing and they've got about a 16" rise. For his legs, those are just right... for us lesser mortals... not so much.

Oh and I just finished a celebratory BLL Labatts Blue Light Lime. yum!

Last edited: