Another Lignum vitae spokeshave

Some time ago I posted how I made a small spokeshave from a LV piece that I had. At that time I also had a bigger blade from Ron Hock and I thought it was time to make the big brother.

I've skipped some pics to make it shorter.
Here there is the piece of wood with the blade recess made and the brass plate to be adjusted.
01 SPK.jpg
Then I made a series of cuts in angle to make the throat, chopped them away and smoothed it with a rasp first and after with a file.
05 SPK.jpg07 SPK.jpg
Then I drilled the brass plate and drilled and tapped the holes for the adjusting screws.
09 SPK.jpg10 SPK.jpg12 SPK.jpg
Then I put the blade in and marked where the edge would sit on the plate.
15 SPK.jpg
Screwed on and glued with epoxy.
16 SPK.jpg
Filed in at angle,and fit the blade. In cases like this is when a big mouth vise comes handy.
19 SPK.jpg20 SPK.jpg

Continue in the next post

Another lignum viate spokeshave PART II

Polished the plate
21 SPK.jpg
Drawn the profile and cut on the bandsaw
25 SPK.jpg
Filed away corners, and shaped overall. Giving elliptic section to the handles.
26 SPK.jpg27 SPK.jpg

I wanted to have some decoration on it and I inlaid two boxwodd plugs.
Sanded, and buffered and shines like glass. No varnish, no wax this wood is wonderful. The piece had two colors as part of it is sap wood I guess.
30 SPK.jpg31 SPK.jpg33 SPK.jpg

Comments critics and suggestions welcome as always.

Attachments

• 29 SPK.jpg
    29 SPK.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 28 SPK.jpg
    28 SPK.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 89
the only thing i can see wrong with it toni is yu needed to make two of them and send me the second one:) that is very nice and looks like it works just as well as it looks.. well done :D:thumb::thumb:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
It is cheaper if you ship the one your are going to make for Larry to me. I'll make sure he doesn't get it. I mean I get it shipped right out to him.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
It is cheaper if you ship the one your are going to make for Larry to me. I'll make sure he doesn't get it. I mean I get it shipped right out to him.:thumb::rofl::rofl:

Aw heck, just start mass producing them and send them to me, I'll take care of shipping them to the rest of interested parties....

the only thing i can see wrong with it toni is yu needed to make two of them and send me the second one:) that is very nice and looks like it works just as well as it looks.. well done :D:thumb::thumb:
Thanks Larry, but I've run out of blades:( that was the last one I had.

Just looking at the finished tool brought a smile on my face. It must be give you a great pleasure to hold it in your hands and use it.:thumb::thumb:
You are right Mohamad, a great pleasure to hold and look at, but I fear using it for the possibility of damaging it. It came out too beatiful to be stored in a tool box, perhaps on a violin case with velvet lining...;)
LOML wanted me to put it on display in our dinning room :D

cant do that. I am Toni's official North American agent. due to the Dove contract.
:D:thumb:

Not sure about that Don, Rennie's dove was first :eek: maybe you could be partners:rofl:

Thanks to all of your for your kind comments.

Very nice work Toni. I love spokeshaves:thumb: and have it in mind to make both the LV kits soon. :)

That wood came out wonderful for just a buffing. What was your final grit of sandpaper before buffing?