Lathe, ballast and a view

michael james

The Delta 46-460 I've wanted for a while, with some el cheapo ballast:thumb:
Jeff Nicol, who some of you know, built me this bowl steady and I thought I'd try it out on a chunk of very dry mesquite that started cracking on me. And finally, a view of the Sandia mountains which is probably the exact view Vaughn grew up with. (added, in case he forgot where he came from:rofl:)

This is my view by giving up a stationary lathe, and is just awesome in the summer, and not too bad anytime if the sun's up!

Attachments

• lathe ballast.jpg
    lathe ballast.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Jeff_N Steady.jpg
    Jeff_N Steady.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 134
  • sandias.jpg
    sandias.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 124
That's a nice looking little lathe... I have a couple of Jet's... my little 1014 I have on a 2x4 "A" frame type of stand with a box of rocks built into the bottom.... steady as a rock... the bigger 1442 needs something similar... probably after the show seasons ends next month I'll spend some time and build a box on the bottom of it, plus I want to put a cabinet on the box to hold tools and chucks etc...

What is the link to Jeff's site for the steady rest.... I could use a good steady...

That's a nice looking little lathe... I have a couple of Jet's... my little 1014 I have on a 2x4 "A" frame type of stand with a box of rocks built into the bottom.... steady as a rock... the bigger 1442 needs something similar... probably after the show seasons ends next month I'll spend some time and build a box on the bottom of it, plus I want to put a cabinet on the box to hold tools and chucks etc...

What is the link to Jeff's site for the steady rest.... I could use a good steady...

http://www.woodennicol.com/tools.html

Good luck! Jeff's a busy man these days!

Congrats on the new Delta 46-460!
Set up looks great.

I just purchase a new General 25-114 Variable Speed.

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-114.html

2zizc5s.jpg

Les

Last edited:

Actually sand will absorb vibrations better than concrete block or rocks. You can buy 60 lb. bags at the lumber yard. I have two on my Griz.

Congrats, and looking good, Michael. :thumb: You're building up a nice setup indeed. The blocks are probably easier to load and unload from the lathe stand, but Frank's right about the vibration damping from sand. Still, I'd run with the blocks until they became a problem, then I'd just go find an arroyo and snag some sand.

And thanks for the Sandia pic. Yep, I've looked at that view a couple or three times. ;)

Thanks ever-buddy! Sand it shall be...... Vaughn do you know how long it would take me to find, sift and bag 150# of good clean, vibration dampening sand?:rofl:

A quote from Lowe's, closest big box in the zip:
QUIKRETE 50 Lb. Play Sand
Item #: 10392 | Model #: 111351
$3.46

I think I can spring for $10 more. I have some old rubber backed outdoor carpeting that should help pad it too! Oh heck, might as well drill some holes in the legs and bolt cross bars as well.:thumb:

Attachments

• Sand.jpg
    Sand.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 6
Actually sand will absorb vibrations better than concrete block or rocks. You can buy 60 lb. bags at the lumber yard. I have two on my Griz.

I'll probably put sand in the box on mine too... my gravel is getting covered with leaves and grass and such, plus my son has been parking is truck (18 wheeler tractor) on the gravel and it's pretty well packed... Sand sounds easier.

I know I need it... I put a chunk of box elder on the lathe that was out of balance... I thought the lathe was going to just leave the shop... it moved 6 inches towards the door before I stopped it and pushed it back in place...

When I built this lathe stand, I designed it so the "box" (painted black) on the bottom secures the frame and allows for weight to be added, either sand or barbell type weights that you can get at yard sales - very cheaply. There is rabbit on the inside top edge of the box to allow a cover to fit flush with the frame if desired.2012-09-24_09-00-14_276.jpg

I'll probably put sand in the box on mine too... my gravel is getting covered with leaves and grass and such, plus my son has been parking is truck (18 wheeler tractor) on the gravel and it's pretty well packed... Sand sounds easier.

I know I need it... I put a chunk of box elder on the lathe that was out of balance... I thought the lathe was going to just leave the shop... it moved 6 inches towards the door before I stopped it and pushed it back in place...

I didn't take any pictures of the cabinet or box yet, but I did put a box under the lathe last year and 160 lbs of sand in the box... with the cabinet and sand, it's pretty steady now.... my friend and cohort here in Tellico uses his spare bullets for ballast on his lathe... he's got the same Jet1442 with about 200 little boxes of 45 caliber bullets holding it down... it stays put.