Hmmm! what can I use this space for?

Some of you already know that my wife and I have been living in an apartment. I lived in apartments all my life. We've finally closed escrow on a house a few days ago and we are moving in Wednesday. House comes with a two car detached garage. Ofcourse, cars will be off-limits.

The garage is about 17' x 19'. Some of the built-in storage reduce the size to 17' x 16' though. I am not sure if I will keep the built-ins or not. I may keep them to house a compressor or a cyclone in the future. I don't think I will be buying any major tools in the near future but gradually I will acquire items as my budget allows.

The previous owners had left behind some items. I purchased the 16 gallon/5 HP Ridgid shopvac for $29. Don't know if its any good but I couldn't resist the low price.

There is a crude folding work bench, which is supported by what is underneath it. I think I will keep it for now.

I plan to get my jet mini lathe out of the storage very soon.

Attachments

• site 1.jpg
    site 1.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 50
  • site 2.jpg
    site 2.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 49
  • site 3.jpg
    site 3.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 48
  • site 4.jpg
    site 4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 48
Congrats. You are setting the right precedence by not letting your cars find out there is a nice enclosed space that they might use. No, no, no . . . bad car . . . sleep outside.

Congratulations Mohammad and Mrs. Mohammad! :thumb:

Looks like you have some electrical out there by the garage door. Any other circuits or a sub-panel? Just curious, not a big deal if that's the only circuit, got by with only one in my last couple of garages. Just gets to be a hassle switching the extension cord around or walking back to the house to reset the breaker. ;)

As for the built-ins, it's probably best to plan the space as if they didn't exist, then see if they can be incorporated. Start with your ideal layout and work towards that as a goal.

Looking forward to seeing how it progresses...:lurk:

Thanks guys.

Stephen, I will definitely post some pictures soon. But, don't listen to these guys. They like to exaggerate. I don't want to crush your high expectations.

Darren, There are 4 electrical outlets. Two are overhead on the joist and two are on the walls. I suspect they feed off of the same circuit (I am not too good in electrical stuff). There is no sub-panel.

Stu, the crack was a concern but the home inspector signed off on it. He said it was "Typical". After all, the house is old.

Woo-hoo! Congrats to you and the whole family. :congrats:

Always fun starting with a blank piece of paper when setting up a shop. Regarding the built-ins, I know I sure like the ones our home's previous owner left for me. It makes great space to store things out of the dust.

New House and Shop

Hi,

That first real house feeling is fantastic. I wish you and your family the greatest and most wonderful experiences while you live there.

I'm with Glenn. Don't even let the cars know that cars were ever allowed in that building. My cars have not seen a garage since 1951 (except for one house where I had a hobby room about the size of a two-car garage).

As you grow into your new shop you will start to make improvements---things like put up dry-wall. When you do remember this, "you are going to want eletric outlets all over the place." It is like clamps, "you can never have enough." And don't forget you will want outlets in the ceiling for things other than luminaires.

I am so VERY HAPPY for you.

Enjoy,

Jim

Great news Mohammad! As one who had the privilege of visiting your apartment, I am sure that you and your wife will soon make this house as beautiful and hospitable as your apartment was. As great as it is to finally have your own shop space, it also must be exciting to have all the room a house has. One that you can change any way that you desire. Got any remodeling plans in your future? You know, knock out a wall, move a door, build new kitchen cabinets , etc?

Yes, I remember living in an apartment. Of course that was back when I would play on the weekends instead of work on home improvement projects. Welcome to the club!

NOW THAT SOME GREAT NEWS MOHAMMAD:congrats::woot::D. First home, new SHOP how exciting:thumb::thumb::thumb: So keep up with the pics of the house and shop and DO show some of your turnings because THEY ARE THAT GOOD:D:thumb:

congrats mohammd:) you will wonder how yu ever got by without one shortly..and i can see alot turning going on in there soon..now about those pictures of what yu have done so far??????:rofl:

Congratulations on the house, Mohammad! What an adventure you'll have with both the house and shop. Mobile carts will help you utilize the shop space efficiently. :thumb:

I forgot to mention, I had a detached gara . . . er, shop prior to my now attached one. I really liked the detached one for no particular reason. It just felt different(?). Then again, where you and I live we rarely have to shovel our way to the shop ion winter ;-)