Wow, this took some skill!

Jeff Horton

I got a call today and got to see inside a Timberwrights shop. Shop wasn't a big deal but I did love the 30+ inch Crescent band saws, the saw horses made from 6x6's. And lots of HUGE beams stacked everywhere.

But I was there about a boat. The owner is a member of a start up Rowing Club and had volunteered to do some repairs to one of the boats. Fiberglass hull with a wood framework. The work was amazing! There is a lot more to these than you think!

This one is an older model and has fabric covered decks and they were asking me if I could do the fabric work for them. But I was just amazed at the woodworking inside this thing. The quiality of the work was very good! Lots of hand fitting on doubt.

4 man boat and get this, 40 feet long!

Imgp7726.jpg

Imgp7725.jpg

Imgp7723.jpg

Imgp7722.jpg

Rowing club? I wasn't sure what you meant until I saw the pics. Are you sure you didn't make a wrong turn and end up in England? ;)
Just transporting that thing could present a challenge.
But very neat construction.

One thing I like about this forum is the chances I have to see things like these even if they are only pics.

Thanks a lot for posting them Jeff.:thumb:

ASU has a rowing club would you believe. The town of Tempe built a lake in the Salt river and the ASU team practices there. The Lake is next to the Loop 202 freeway. It's quite the site to be driving down the freeway in the middle of the desert and see a rowing team working out in a scull.

Talking to him, their 6 man boat is 60 feet long! I swear they don't look that big on the water from a distance.

Nice pics. Is it customary to leave the shoes in the boat?:huh::dunno:

I think it is a have too. They are attached to the boat! Imagine turning that sucker over with you feet strapped in.

Very cool!

But the real question is, are you going to do the fabric work!?

Yes. It's a pretty small job and I volunteered my labor. Sounds like they have some ambitious plans to bring rowing to this area. Including spring training camps for the some of the Northern ice bound big names maybe. So if I can help out in a small way I am all for it. It just helps our local economy.

Wow that is amazing!

I had a buddy that was on the rowing team at UBC, those boys worked out HARD made football and rugby look like a girls sport :D

That sounds great Jeff if they are bringing rowing to your area. It is really cool to watch them race. They take over elk lake here almost every weekend with practices. I have never had a good close look at them so thanks for sharing the pics. Yea I agree it would suck to have the feet in those shoes when it went over but I think those things are pretty stable as they don't do any high speed tight turns. Just straight runs.

We've got one of the premiere rowing lakes in the East just up the road. Teams come from all over the East Coast/Midwest to compete. Here's a link http://www.orra.org/. It's neat to go watch.

I take my 10 yr. old fishing sometimes in some of the sloughs around the course. We bust up the blue gill. He has a big time! It ticks him off when they make wakes and it messes up his fishing!

My daughter was the coxswain on the UNH crew team. 8 man boat.
Boy, those races were fun to watch:rolleyes: Stand around all day waiting for the race. Here them come........ there they go.:zzz:

100_2051 (600 x 450) missy.jpg

Last edited: