Looking a little like Steve Southwood's Avatar

Bill Satko

Wounded  1.jpg

It would have been better on the left hand, but at least the hand is still there. And who says hand tools aren't dangerous, some people can make any tool a danger.

I was adjusting the iron in my moving fillister plane after sharpening the iron so that it could easily take the shaving off pine end-grain. It is kind of a tricky because of the skewed cutter. You have to position it on the bed so it has a even depth across the blade edge and is also slightly proud of the plane edge. I was testing the how even the blade was projecting across plane sole by barely have the blade projecting as I tested each side by running a small piece of wood across the sole and blade. My mind must have moved on to checking how far from the edge the blade was and my eyes followed. That blade was really slicing through the wood like butter and it handled the finger did just the same.

So I did the usual swearing as I applied a death grip on the finger, picked up the first aid kit and presented it and myself to my wife. Took about an hour with my finger in an iced towel to stop the bleeding before we could bandage it.

Worst part of the whole thing is showered with a latex glove on and explaining at work what dumb thing I did now. I really need to start inventing some stories where my wounds are due to some heroic or noble event.

well we know it was sharp!!!

yu better start coming up with some better excuses for not gettin rebecas list done.. now yur gonna get sympathy right and al lthe attentiona grown man shouldnt have:) glad yu arent so old that yu dont heal bill..

OUCH !!!!!!! Well should not have been much pain with a sharp edge. I could share some of my blood if your O-Pos. I clot so fast that the Red Cross will not take my blood any more. It clots to fast. I cut myself and wrap a rag around the cut and it stops bleeding quick. Good thing too I hate stitches!!!!!!!!!!!.

Last edited:
Woops! Sounds like you're already on the mend...keep it dry and clean and you'll be ready to slice another finger in no time. :D:rofl:

Daaaaaaaannnnnng:eek: I know your planes are sharp so.............OUCH for sure:eek: Well a least your in good company, a while back I took the tip of my left middle finger off with a swipe of a plane, so switched hands and did the same thing on the right finger with the very NEXT swipe:rolleyes:

Daaaaaaaannnnnng:eek: I know your planes are sharp so.............OUCH for sure:eek: Well a least your in good company, a while back I took the tip of my left middle finger off with a swipe of a plane, so switched hands and did the same thing on the right finger with the very NEXT swipe:rolleyes:

Dang Tom, you give new meaning to the saying "I cut it twice and it's still too short"...:D:rofl:

Thanks everyone.

Couple of more times and there won't be enough to get in the way. I am going to try and let this heal before I donate any more blood to the shop floor.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

On the upside, you at least know it's a clean cut, and not some jagged non-healing tear that would have been caused by a dull tool. ;)

...Well a least your in good company, a while back I took the tip of my left middle finger off with a swipe of a plane, so switched hands and did the same thing on the right finger with the very NEXT swipe:rolleyes:

Wow, you really are ambidextrous, aren't you? :p

Tom: Doc, it hurts when I do this.

Doctor: Don't do that.

Tom: How about like this...ow! That hurts too!

Doctor: Um...don't do that, either.

OUCH!!!

I hope you heal up quick. As others have said, "welcome to the 2010 injury club". :)

If this keeps up, we're going to need a new sub-forum. Lets hope that's not the case.

John