Coring

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
I know that this has been beaten to death!

BUT: What was the consensus ?

Oneway, McNaughton, or Woodcut Bowl saver?

Used on a powermatic 3520

I think the consensus is that the Oneway is easier to use, but the McNaughton is more versatile, but with a steeper learning curve. The Woodcut seems to be the most limited and least robust of the three.

I have the McNaughton, and haven't used it as much as I would like. (I started running low on large green blanks about the time I got it. Most of what I've got in the pile now it pretty dry, and more difficult to core.) I'm not quite as fearful when I use it as I used to be, but it's still got a fair amount of pucker factor involved when I use it. I've had more belt-screeching stalls with the McNaughton than with any other tool. (In fact, I think the McNaughton is the only thing I've ever stalled my 3520B with.) Someday I would like to add the Oneway system to my arsenal, but it's a pretty low priority on my tool wishlist right now.

Thanks --- seem to remember this now! After a quick google most agree with you.. Now to get the money! Maybe selling one of my 5 cub tractors will help!

Thanks again

Cynthia -- take a large green log and use a coring rig to make nested bowls out of it.

Or waste the center and get one large bowl.

The discussion was which tool does this best.

Excuse me for being so dull, but could someone please translate this conversation into little words for us beginning woodworkers? :D

Cynthia, "bowl coring" is the process of cutting a smaller bowl out of the otherwise wasted material in the middle of a larger bowl. It's done with specialized curved cutting knives and a special holder that helps guide it into the wood. Sticking 6 or 7 inches of steel into a curved slot on a block of wood spinning at 800 RPM or so can be a bit nerve-wracking.

In the hands of a skilled turner, sets like this are possible (not my work, BTW):

8E8D35CF.jpg

Here's the McNaughton system we're talking about:

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...nter_Saver___mcnaughton_standard_system?Args=

And here is a video of one in use by Mr. "Turning Muscle" himself, Bill Grumbine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDO5yN-RJFw&feature=related

Cynthia, "bowl coring" is the process of cutting a smaller bowl out of the otherwise wasted material in the middle of a larger bowl. It's done with specialized curved cutting knives and a special holder that helps guide it into the wood. Sticking 6 or 7 inches of steel into a curved slot on a block of wood spinning at 800 RPM or so can be a bit nerve-wracking.
I don't have a link, but I watched a video on the web last week of a youngish man who was show how he does bowls... he turns 12-15 inch bowls, cores them and finishes them at - he said - 1800 rpms.... that would scare the bejeasus out of me....

So Vaughn I didn't realise that wood turning was so dangerous. I mean they guy is wearing a side arm isn't he? :dunno::dunno: Or is he tuning gun wood?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I wondered if anyone was gonna mention Bill's sidearm. :D

In addition to being a world-famous woodturning teacher, demonstrator, and video star, Bill's a certified NRA instructor and a firm believer in being armed at all times. He lives out in the country, and doesn't like to be surprised. :p I pity the fool who tries to sneak up on Bill in his shop.