Craftsman 103.20670

Chris Hatfield

Former Member (by the member's request)
Found this old iron on CL locally, thinking about picking it up and restoring it, at least partially. Owner says it's in good shape and cuts well, but I was wondering about the ability to put new blades on a tool this old.

It doesn't come with the original stand, but that doesn't really bother me. What would you do for $40?

Not a bad looking piece of iron.

Personally, when I had my smaller shops, a jointer wasn't high on my priority list as I didn't have a lot of projects that required it and didn't want to use up the space in my shop. So I'd look at your what tools you are needing and purchase accordingly. If you're looking at it for resell after you restore it, I doubt you'll bring much more in than what you're paying. Offer $15 or $20 if it's a restore and you may make another $10 - $20 depending on what you have to do to it.

Just my .02 :wave:

I just got rid of one and yes the blades are available. I had put new ones in it. The blades will run you something like $60.

Ouch.

No, this wasn't going to be a restore and resell. Not immediately, anyway. More of a, use it and freshen it up and possibly get rid of it if/when I decide I need something bigger. Sounds like if I'm going to put some use into it I should look at something with a bit more upfront cost and less long-term cost.

OK, I Googled it. It is a jointer.
I paid $50.00 for my old, but goodie, Delta and it was a very worthwhile purchase.
If it works and blades are OK, buy it but try to negotiate for less.

Not a bad looking piece of iron.

Personally, when I had my smaller shops, a jointer wasn't high on my priority list as I didn't have a lot of projects that required it and didn't want to use up the space in my shop. So I'd look at your what tools you are needing and purchase accordingly.

Very good advice, and some that I've tried to abide by. I have my kitchen table project that's going to start sometime after the first of the year, and I need to get those edges perfect for glue up. My previous attempts at getting a straight edge have had mixed results. I figured I would have an easier time with a dedicated tool, but I may not.

So before I go and take a look at this or any other jointer, I may need to work on my technique. I've had the outfeed side perfectly aligned and as close to the bit as possible, but I get an error in the first inch of the cut.