wood movement chart info

larry merlau

this wknd i ran into a spot where i wasnt sure what to do, so sent out some pm's got some replys but later than i needed them,, which was fine i was just in a hurry to do this part and so i done some more looking on the net and found a good article that can help others like me next time.. i had a panel of walnut that was going to be trapped between two rails and i didnt want it to spread the piece apart with the movement in temps threw out its life time.. so found this article and am inserting a link to where it can be found. you need to sign up for the site if you arent but its definitely worth it to be a member of this site..

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesPDF.aspx?id=27129

the panel i had was 15.5 wide, and the area you are in affects the amount of movement yu can expect , but this guy does work for the whole country and so he uses the worst case scenario and so did i on this.. so after yu have read this give me your answers for the amount of movement i should allow for on this walnut panel:) that way i can see if iread it right and yu can have a better understand ing of movement after reading this article:)

Flatsawn or Quartersawn?

I'll assume the worst.

(15.5 * .0027 * 10) = .4185 ~= 13/32

So I guess the panel width should be 15 3/32?

That seems like a surprising large amount of movement to me... :huh:

I must have done something wrong...